Technical Writing and Publishing Software for Mac

There are no good analogies to what I am planning within medicine - that is why I plan this project. I believe it is hard to sort through the medical literature and efficiently find an answer to a question or to find the best point/counterpoint on a non-settled topic. But I do believe such a project is possible with current hardware and software technology.

Somewhat of an analogy within law would be fastcase.com or casetext.com - each of these provides assistance in searching and curating the legal literature, though what I would plan in medicine would be a bit different with some of the selection of sets of articles already done. As for Epub or PDF or print, there are lots of legal monographs which summarize the most important caselaw on a given topic and offer commentary.

1 Like

Would Scrivener be of any help? I am not sure how it handles the technical nature of the content.

Scrivener seems the closest thing I know of so far which is native to the Mac. But its HTML capabilities are light-years behind Madcap Flare.

I guess that’s really my question - is there any software in the class of Framemaker or Madcap Flare which is Mac native.

My first thought when I read your initial request was LaTeX. After reading the clarifications, I still think it is worth trying. It has excellent footnote and citation support with hyperlinks. It can output to HTML, epub, and PDF. It is also free with several editor and preview apps available. Start at the following link for more details about how to get it and what is available. https://www.tug.org/mactex/

2 Likes

Latex looks extremely capable though with a steep learning curve… but it doesn’t have full HTML and javasript output flexibility as Madcap has, albeit at a much lower cost. Good contrasting options to explore -thanks.

I am not sure about JavaScript, but I have produced plenty of HTML with LaTeX. I have not used MadCap so I have no comment about it.

1 Like

Can it do responsive layouts that adjust for screen size, or only a fixed HTML layout?

This stack exchange article shows that it should be possible if you can accomplish your responsive design with CSS. This might be a bit more geeky than you want to deal with, though.

Has anyone in the forum actually used LaTeX for responsive HTML design?