Ten days iPad only

I have not heard of that one to be honest, Most people on iPad’s I find anyhow use Notability or goodnotes, Must look that one up :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I went iOS first at the beginning of the year. Still one or two things I do on my Mac, but I could work around them if I needed to. They’re just more convenient on my Mac. Scheduling YouTube videos is one such instance. As it stands, I upload and then tag from the YouTube iOS app but then switch to iCab (masking itself as Safari on macOS) to actually schedule the video because YouTube doesn’t expose it’s Scheduling UI to iOS.

1 Like

I have both GoodNotes and notability. All three apps have about the same feature set and work about the same. One of the options that I’m looking for is decent image adjustment. If I’m doing research on a tech purchase, I want to be able to take a screenshot of the webpage and then crop it.

3 Likes

Curtis are you editing the YouTube videos on IOS?

Yup with LumaFusion. Just working on a short post on that for The Sweet Setup. No idea when it will be published, but I should have it sent off to them this week.

3 Likes

That is pretty awesome. I went iPad only while my wife used my MacBook to harvest her hard drive. The TLDR is that the logic board on her 15 inch MBP died and I couldn’t get a replacement. Even after getting my MacBook back, I don’t use it as much as I used to.

1 Like

Do report back how that works out for you - I’m getting ready to sell my 2013 MacBook Air & replace it with one the iPad Pro models and go all-in on iOS, as well.
Would be nice to get all the feedback prior to me committing to iOS so I probably can weed out some of the pitfalls :smiley:

1 Like

Following this thread with interest. I could never go iOS only as I program for a living (data science), but I seldom need to program on the road. iMac (Pro? :money_mouth_face:) and iPad Pro is tempting. Keen to update my iPad Air 2 when Apple finally has their iPad event (please this month, Apple? Please?)

1 Like

Many people describe their experiences with using an iPad as their only device, but what about the reverse? Can you function without an iPad and a Mac only or are there things that you can only do on an iPad? Some activities are better suited to an iPad (drawing, note taking, watching movies), but can also be done on a Mac

2 Likes

I program for much of my income as well. I end up using a VPS to do it and Blink Shell as a connection to that server.

3 Likes

Before the iPad Pro came out I gave my wife my iPad Mini and was without one for about a year. I don’t think that there is much a Mac “can’t” do, but some things certainly feel easier on an iPad.

People have been drawing for decades on desktops either with the mouse or if they got fancy with something like a Wacom Tablet.

I find that going iOS only, cuts so many distractions. Though I also don’t allow any notifications on my devices.

1 Like

As I stated above I had been iPad only for a couple of years but had to get an iMac with new responsibilities for creating graphics (not much but some) and videos at work. HOWEVER, I could see me going back to iPad only now that…

1. Adobe is releasing a full version of Photoshop for iOS
  2. Affinity Designer recently released for iOS
  3. Finding out how awesome Luma Fusion is.

Going back to the iPad only life is again doable with the release of these apps.
(For me at least. YMMV)

1 Like

I would have real trouble without an iPad. Many of my workflows involve handwriting (iPad only) or reading and PDF markup that is much easier on the iPad.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been using Affinity Photo and Designer and they really are fantastic. For what I do, they make the iPad as primary computer, possible. Well, I could do it without them but the substitute apps are not as good.

While I won’t be using Photoshop for iOS I’m glad it’s coming out because it will increase the perceived status of the iPad for work.

LumaFusion is fantastic. I’ve only used it for a few personal projects but I really enjoy using it. Very powerful video editor.

2 Likes

The two things I can’t do on a Mac:

1. Run iOS
  2. Use a screen only, no keyboard.

Technically I could get my work done on the Mac but would be sacrificing to do it. At this point I do not want to run macOS and I can’t imagine being forced to keep my screen attached to the keyboard as is the case with a laptop. While I use the SmartKeyboard 70% of the time that other 30% is something I won’t give up.

2 Likes

I hear that, Seandaly. I tried using Preview to read and annotate PDF’s. It works, but not as easy as with the pencil. I take my notes by doodling diagrams and that’s not possible with the Mac. I had piles of Moleskines that the iPad replaced. Though honestly I did like the analog Moleskine approach better, having everything in the cloud is pretty compelling.

2 Likes

To all you ipad users -

I am looking at replacing my older MacBook Pro with an iPad Pro. What about the mouse? Do you miss it?

I feel like I navigate so much with the mouse, and the movements are so natural.

1 Like

I really miss having at least the option to use my Magic Trackpad with iOS. If Apple intends to offer both OSes on one piece of hardware (something their chip designs and macOS programming abstraction layers suggests might be a goal within 2-3 years), then pointing device support ought to be something we’ll see… eventually.

At the upcoming Apple Event new iPad Pros are reported to have a USB-C port allowing connection to up to a 4K monitor, but perhaps the cable can also be used with a mouse/trackpad too; although it’s fairly unlikely (we’d probably have seen some code leak out from the betas if that were the case) it’s a slim possibility.

1 Like

There was mention on 9to5 Mac (or maybe it was a podcast he was on) by Gui Rambo a few weeks back of a new input method/device called “puck”. I’m surprised more people didn’t catch this and aren’t talking about it. Seems like the sort of thing that would go with that external monitor. I’m hoping they bring back the original iMac “Puck” mouse. :wink:

1 Like

I"m joining the macOS-to-iOS switchers this Sunday.

I’ve thrown caution to the wind & just arranged for an exchange of my mid-2013 MacBook Air for a 10.5" iPad Pro 64Gb, and I’m so excited to get to work on it :smile:

Will post how this goes :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes