Texting app/service that hides my phone number?

Many people prefer texting over email. I don’t for a lot of reasons but I also recognize the trend, especially among younger generations. I want to use text more BUT WITHOUT REVEALING MY MOBILE NUMBER. Is there an app/service that can do that?

You can do that with Google Voice, in exchange for your data.

https://voice.google.com/u/0/about

Yes, but I find it a pain to use on my phone.

No phone number, for me, screams SPAM, and I immediately block and delete. Just saying.

1 Like

I know but I thought I would consider making myself more available to certain members of the school community via text but I don’t want 1,000 students and the parents having my mobile number. The last thing I need is 100 text messages a day. :grinning:

1 Like

We generally buy a corporate phone for executives who want it, separate from their personal phone. Their associate can then monitor and manage the messages as needed.

1 Like

Ah. More information.

My wife’s school uses Remind. She hasn’t mentioned any issues with it, so assume it works well.

1 Like

The school pays for my phone/data but it is also my personal phone. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks, I’ll check that out!

You may want to check this link Messenger Comparison - Threema

Thank you, I’ll check out the site, much appreciated!

Have you considered having Dual SIM, perhaps?

1 Like

I think you can use Telegram without your phone number. I might be wrong, but that’s how it started.

Edit: it also allows you choose who can see your number.

If I catch your words correctly, I think most alternative chat services use username.

LINE, Discord… all use username instead of email/phone number

Thanks everyone for the kind suggestions. I believe most of these would require the other parties to use the same app/service. Is that correct? If so, that will not work as I’ll never get them to use alternative services/apps. :grinning:

This is what a friend recommended
https://www.cardstockforteachers.com/

These are probably overkill but they are SMS.

https://www.capterra.com/sem-compare/sms-marketing-software/?utm_source=ps-google&utm_medium=ppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_sCPiOqa9AIVAryGCh28HQhYEAAYAiAAEgIgZPD_BwE

Yes, that is how it works. If everyone uses the default messaging app on their devices, then they will need to have your number and you will need to have theirs. If you use a third party service which is disconnected from your number, then everyone must all use that same service, which requires them all to install the app, create an account, and send and receive messages from that app.

The one exception is iMessages, which is integrated into the default messages app on Apple devices. You can send and receive messages using an email address. Of course, that means that everyone will have your email address. So long as they don’t have your phone number in their contact entry for you, Apple will properly route the message to you using your email address. However, that only works if the email address is associated with your Apple account and has been enabled for iMessages (on your phone navigate to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and ensure the email address is both listed and checked for both the “you can receive imessages to and reply from” and “start new conversation from” lists). It also requires everyone to have an Apple device. For example, it won’t work if you are trying to communicate with Android users.

1 Like

IMO it’s ironic that the app most responsible for keeping users from even thinking about moving to android isn’t suitable for business communications.