Thank you for Five Years

Gang, It’s now been five years since I went on my own and the MPU family played a HUGE role in that. Thank you!

42 Likes

Congratulations, you’ve inspired a lot of us to appreciate working independently. I’ve been a freelancer for just over a decade now and do not regret a second. Having control of life is so much better than being in a daily routine dictated by a boss and a bunch of executives.

1 Like

Congratulations, David!

I joined the happy carefree freelance life Feb. 3.

2 Likes

I remember following your posts as you started down that path. It’s great to see it worked out – in many ways it seems you successfully blossomed into lots of new areas. We’re all better off because you did. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Five years! Wow. Congratulations.

1 Like

Carefree huh? Grin. Pretty sure you are pulling my leg there.

Congratulations @MacSparky! That is a significant milestone. And I know I speak for those on this forum, thank you for your contribution to making our lives more productive, although you have cost us a great deal of money! :laughing:

3 Likes

Congratulations and thank you for all you do for the MPU community. We share a 5 year anniversary of being free…best decision i ever made. have been able to see my kids go through middle and high school…wouldn’t trade that time for anything.

1 Like

I can’t reply to your post because my hands are occupied biting my nails down to the elbows.

2 Likes

Congratulations David!
And let me take this opportunity to thank you for all that you do in the Apple world. You are my favorite voice and viewpoint in this world I (re)discovered four years ago after 25 years of Windows. Your kindness, humour and enthusiasm are always a joy to listen to. :pray:

3 Likes

OK So am I the only one who saw this subject and my mind immediately went to Tom Smith’s song about Babylon 5 ???

Five Years

1 Like

I’d never seen that, but that was awesome!

Babylon 5? That reference blew a couple decades of dust off my memory. :slight_smile:

As I recall they created the graphics using something like 20 Amiga computers attached to a 486 server running Novell.

1 Like

Amiga … man it was fun when there were so many competing operating systems.

1 Like

I know that at least the pilot used Amiga computers but I thought that the series itself used some DEC Alpha computers and some Pentiums but I can’t remember for sure and am too lazy to google it.

1 Like

That’s entirely possible. I had just built a Novell Network around the time B5 premiered when I read an article about their system. Guess thats why I remember it. Seems like they named it something like RAAM (Really Awesome Animation Machine)

I also managed a DEC MicroVAX II back then. Read about the Alphas but never saw one.

A few years ago I stumbled into an Atari ST emulator. Remember the “Busy Bee” Animation? Ugh.

Next step is giving up law practice, as I did many years ago. Never looked back!

Congratulations David. You are an inspiration to all of us!

People ask me that … but the way the practice works now, I quite enjoy it. The challenge is finding the right balance. We’re about to start daughter #2 in college and #1 is going to graduate school so it is tempting to take way more legal work than I should. But these are challenges we all face.