The Dreaded "Printer Unavailable" problem

Has anyone here ever found a reliable way to get rid of the “Printer Unavailable” problem? It has suddenly occurred on my network, and nothing is able to print to my Kyocera P5026cda networked Laswer printer, although I can login to its control system without problem … ?

You know, I hardy use my printer now. I just plug it in with the cable to my laptop. I gave up trying to networking it.

Perhaps assigning a static IP address to it?

1 Like

Yes, it’s been a perennial Apple problem for many years. The trouble is that the official advice (to reset the printer system) is not welcome to most users, especially if they have multiple printers and scanners defined!

That said, I have just solved my problem. I just went to each of my Macs in turn, deleted the Kyocera printer, and then created it again. But it’s stupid that this should be necessary - that Apple haven’t found so way of dealing with it. Also, that 4 separate Macs should simultaneously get into a state the print definitions need replacing seems to me to indicate some fundamental flaw in the way Apple deals with networked printers.

1 Like

A reboot of the computer normally works for me to clear this. Next step would be shutting down and restarting the printer. Finally, if those do not work, then bounce the router or switch or whatever network connectivity you have for the printer. Worse case is to “forget” the printer in system preferences and then add it back.

Katie

Changing the time it takes before the printer goes to “sleep” or “standby” mode often helps as well. In office environments I set it to 4 hours or more. The first print job might take a minute before the printer has come out of hibernation. For the rest of the day it should be fine, since someone will print something within a couple of hours…

Nice new avatar :+1:

Yeah that’s how I often end up at a client :grinning:

1 Like