The flexibility of iCloud Family Storage Sharing

Hello

Today, I spent 10 minutes and discovered that iCloud plans are not as inflexible as I thought they were. Due to family iCloud storage use, I had to move from 200gb tier to the 1tb tier.

It so happens (although I didnt find any specific documentation) that a family member can choose not to use the iCloud storage and subsribe directly. This may not work out for everyone, but for my use case, it saved me some coin :slight_smile: The brilliant thing is that specific family member remains part of the iCloud family including access to all the features aside from iCloud storage.

For details, of course I wrote a blogpost:
The flexibility of iCloud Family Storage Sharing

If this post saves some money for MacPowerUsers, it will be icing on the cake for me :slight_smile: Speaking of cake, I am feeling a bit peckish

4 Likes

Interesting post.

I have a different problem. We were sharing2TB as a family but I have moved to Apple one. So I now have 2Tb. This should share with the family but it don’t seem to. I have cancelled subscription on existing 2 tb plan in another family members account but now worried about data loss at the end is the billing period

2 Likes

Great post, very informative.
In my case I’m trying to postpone upgrading to the 2TB plan, I pay for 2x 200GB in the family but both are approaching the limit.

1 Like

Happened to me as well. I subscribed 200GB for myself and my wife separately. The beauty of this is that once we both reach the limit, I subscribed to 2TB, she unsub from her 200GB and join my 2TB and we both share the new higher storage without needing to do any data/photo migration at all! It just works.

3 Likes