The race to reinvent document editing

Misunderstanding on my part, then, your original comment was set as a reply to my post and I thought you were addressing my comments only.

My mistake

(twenty characters)

1 Like

Depends on the document. Sometimes things like page boundaries put constraints on the content therein. And sometimes layout considerations actually change the content itself.

If a document is never going to be printed or turned into something that has to obey particular dimensions, I agree - thatā€™s a whole different use case from a document whose ultimate destination is a piece of paper.

Writing doesnā€™t have to occur sequentially, but reading - in many cases - needs to proceed in a linear manner. The writer should organize things in such a way as to help the reader comprehend, and the reader should theoretically derive the maximum benefit from proceeding in order.

You have no idea how many things Iā€™ve written clear instructions for, somebody skips half of them, and then complains that something didnā€™t work. :slight_smile:

Exactly. Thatā€™s the thing about a Zettelkasten or similar - itā€™s whatā€™s relevant to the individual person. Whatā€™s useful to John may not be useful to me at all, and my brain may not even draw the same connections.

Anybody whoā€™s spent time in education (formal or otherwise) will appreciate the number of different techniques that can be required to get a group of peoplesā€™ brains on the same page.

As one of those boring lawyers who has to use Microsoft Word, Iā€™ve found that Ulysses export styles work great. I tend to write in Ulysses and export to Word. I donā€™t have to do much tinkering afterwards to finish it. I wrote my last appellate brief entirely in Ulysses. The only thing I really had to do after exporting to Word was add citations for my table of authorities.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve found the same. I use Ulysses for sermon writing. I can export to both Word and PDF for different purposes (I use a large font with multiple colours (e.g. bold is in red) for preaching from my iPad, a smaller font for the few pages that need to be printed). Its ease of styling of output is impressive and the most flexible/easy of the alternatives Iā€™ve tried, especially being able to export one source to more than one format and break the document into ā€˜chaptersā€™.

For essays/research papers I still use Word because its integration with Zotero makes it easy to cite and I canā€™t ā€˜loseā€™ original sources along the way. I store paper highlights in Devonthink/Markdown. I find Word formatting can be a pain and I look forward to dumping Word when I donā€™t need to reference so much!

1 Like

Markdown was created by Aaron Swartz (RIP) and John Gruber.
Letā€™s not forget Aaronā€™s contribution.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t know that, thanks for pointing it out.