Things That I LIKE About IOS 13.1 and iPad OS So Far

So many of us, myself included, have been posting all the things that we find wrong with the new updates, (a fallacy of being human). I would like to start a thread of all the things that we LIKE about the new updates. For one, to let Apple know that we DO appreciated what they are doing, and two, to help those like myself, find some of the not so obvious new features.

That said, i will kick it off with these:

Mouse support!!
Dark Mode.
The long list of menu choices in email.
. So many new Accessibilities Features.
Voice Control.
The new Siri.
I haven’t gotten there yet, but Shortcuts is sounding much better.

1 Like

Voice control definitely.
Short cuts improvements - although I have yet to fully see/experience the new updates.
Reminders app (in terms of features) - for now, for me, it’s broken - but I like what I see.

1 Like

Mouse support? In what way?

1 Like

I can finally use a mouse with my iPad or iPhone. For me, that’s faster than touching the screen so much.

Huh. I’ll have to go ahead and look. I’m not a mouse user with the ipad but I thought I read on some reviews that there was no mouse control. Interesting.

1 Like

Using one right now as we talk. It’s a oooold Logitech M310. Works great!

1 Like

Apologies on my sporadic posts. I just realized that you included iPadOS as well. I love that the widgets can be pinned in ipadOS. While it’s not quite in my learned muscle behavior to make use of the split screens, I like the idea of fast swtiching between the side pallets (I’m unclear on the proper term here). I think I would definitely use the split screen more if I upgraded to the new larger ipads and took it to the office.

1 Like

Silencing calls from numbers not in one’s contact list.

Hands-down favorite feature. I get about a dozen calls a week, almost always from North Carolina numbers, that are attempted scammers or at least robocalls. Robokiller has been inconsistent in trapping them, and I’ve already cancelled that $30/year subscription as the iOS 13 feature works every time.

5 Likes
  • Blocking unknown calls (just let me toggle it in Control Center!)
  • Dark mode + improved Mail. I love processing my emails in Mail after sundown now. :slight_smile:
  • New share sheet
  • No load time for shortcuts
  • Voice Control: mostly dictation for me, and that the whole thing exists for those who need it
  • Multiple slide over windows
1 Like

Quick smoother screen movement on my 10.5.

1 Like
  • Desktop Safari
  • External storage
  • Widgets on the home screen
  • Multiwindow
  • Slide Over
2 Likes
  • Swipe keyboard - seriously never thought I’d use but it’s just brilliant!!!
  • Dark mode
  • Shortcuts

(I’m still at an early stage, loads to discover yet)

3 Likes

Yes, their desktop iPad experience isn’t great (though better than their mobile and AMP pages.) I can’t wait for Apollo to come out with a proper multi-pane iPad client; supposedly it’s in the works.

1 Like

I think one of the most underrated features of iOS 13 is sharing your name/photo in iMessage.

3 Likes

dustinknopoff, I just set that up! THANKS for the reminder!

1 Like

Love the swipe keyboard!
Not sure why it appears where it does sometimes (iPadOS), but other than that, greatly reduced poking at the screen!

I like the increased haptic feedback. Not sure if this is an iOS 13 thing, or an iPhone 11Pro thing, but it’s helpful.

2 Likes

Carplay! I can be navigating and skip forward and back in a podcast as necessary without navigating between maps and whatever podcast app I’m using. Although, I’m finding a couple of issues for now - interacting with one or other of the maps and podcast apps may make it take over the whole screen, and sometimes I can’t get into the split view. On the whole though it’s a big change for the better.

2 Likes

The first thing I noticed after updating my iPhone to iOS 13 was … the glass feels more slippery! How can that be? Maybe the scroll speed was changed ?

1 Like

Just don’t try using an Apple mouse. It will only work with third-party mice. Go figure.

1 Like

HA! I didn’t know that!