This is interesting: possible Apple subscription bundling

It will be interesting to see how successful Apple will be with this. Iā€™m an Apple Music subscriber and currently am nearing the end of my free year of Apple TV+.

I wonā€™t be re-subscribing to Apple TV+ right away. I have no interest in Arcade and wish I could delete Apple News from my Mac as I did on iPhone & iPad.

Like Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access, and others, I will occasionally subscribe to Apple TV+ when they offer something I want to watch. Then after a month or two, Iā€™ll drop it until something new and interesting is added again. In my case, a bundle would just complicate things.

I never understood Apple Music. Why donā€™t people just buy their tracks? Why subscribe?

Prior to Apple Music I probably owned around 3000 songs. Thatā€™s not a lot for someone old enough to have purchased the Beatleā€™s first album when it was released. I donā€™t recall buying more than 8 or 10 albums before I got my first real part time job. And much of the money from that I saved for a car :smile:

Over the years I learned to love a wide variety of music, including classical, jazz, blues, gospel, country, etc. in addition to rock & roll. Now with Apple Music I can listen to everything. To artists and performances I didnā€™t have an opportunity to hear before. And to music of my past I used to only hear on AM radio.

I couldnā€™t begin to do that for $9.95 a month.

2 Likes

Financial. If you listen to more than ~15 new albums a year, youā€™re better off streaming (or pirating.)

Convenience. You get a nice UI, synced status across your devices, little digging across YouTube/Bandcamp/SoundCloud to hear something.

1 Like

Because that would be bloody expensive! Apple Music is the price of an album per month. That, and you can listen to albums and then decide after a few listens that the tracks get old really quickly, and move on.

On the broader topic: Iā€™d like an Apple Music and News+ bundle, but it seems it wonā€™t be happening. Too bad. I have zero interest in TV+ and I actively donā€™t want to support Apple pouring millions into that thing when their core job is building great Macs, OSes and devices.

2 Likes

Why do people buy their tracks? Why not just subscribe?

7 Likes

Yesterday alone in my daily listening I sampled songs from around 20 albums (and listened to playlists from dozens of separate albums) that not only did I not own, or would buy, but from many I didnā€™t even know existed, but learned about from AM and friend suggestions. And I liked most of them!

Not understanding in the year 2020 why people subscribe to a music service (when over 300m people around the world are paying subscribers and upwards of 2b stream music total) seems strange.

2 Likes

Yes, a true get off my lawn move, haha. I canā€™t understand why kids these days buy cdā€™s, the covers are so tiny.

1 Like

I havenā€™t listened to an album in years. I listen to playlists, either through Spotify or Pacemaker.

2 Likes

One thing to add: a music subscription is one of those things you can only understand after youā€™ve had it. At least thatā€™s how it worked for me.

The ā€œconceptā€ of a music subscription seemed cool, but nothing I especially wanted or needed. But at some point I tried it and I was immediately hooked. It took me about ten minutes to find songs I hadnā€™t heard in years and which I associated with long-forgotten moments or emotions. Those songs sparked other memories, led me to more songs, and so on.

Iā€™m past the age of caring about new music, and my daughter doesnā€™t listen to much music to introduce me to it. But I like to sample new-to-me music, in addition to my own personal favorites from different times in my life. Having the vast majority of the worldā€™s music catalog available on demand is much cooler in practice than in theory.

1 Like

For me itā€™s almost the opposite. I have over 36,000 songs in iTunes (and a couple of hundred CDs still unripped) and while I could easily live in my past - and iTunesā€™s Genius playlists make amazing connections when you have a large library - Iā€™ve mostly abandoned my own music in favor or surfing around playlists and recommendations from Apple and seeing what some really interesting people I follow are listening to and made playlists of. (Most of my friends, associates and family donā€™t have great musical taste so I just donā€™t follow them on AM, but I found a lot of very interesting people, especially in Japan and Europe, with tastes that are eye-opening and surprising and often delightful.)

That may be true but it could be that they have good taste, just not to your liking. :slight_smile: I for one canā€™t stand hip hop or rap but that doesnā€™t necessarily mean those who like it have bad tastes, though I have my suspicions. :wink:

1 Like

No, they have bland, terrible, or generic taste. I used to be involved in music professionally (in the 80s) and my tastes are varied and independent of pop charts or nostalgic favorites. Instead of polluting my AM ā€˜friendā€™ stream with obvious, terrible or generic music I found people to follow around the world with varied and interesting taste often dissimilar to my own from which I depend for a stream of music to sample. And Appleā€™s music experts who compile playlists (I know two of them) generally have superb taste too.

I want to own some. For everything else there is streaming.

1 Like

Just yesterday I was sampling a video on YouTube discussing the musical theory behind ā€œThe Girl from Ipanemaā€ and its cultural roots. (Very fascinating.) The presenter mentioned an album from 1964, ā€œGetz/Gilbertoā€, with Stan Getz and JoĆ£o Gilberto ā€“ the album is one way the song moved into U.S. and European pop culture.

In the old days (or even the old old old days when the album first appeared), it would mean a trip some place in brick-and-mortar land just to look at and possibly sample the album. Instead, with my AppleMusic subscription, the album was a click away.

I would never have known about / thought about / or searched for this for my own library without our technology and the subscription. This sort of use case happens almost every day for me. I love it.

I certainly agree with you on this. I find pop music woefully lacking, including fan favorites like Taylor Swift. Now I know Iā€™m just asking for it! :slight_smile: My taste run toward Blues guitar, jazz, Celtic, and classical. Iā€™ll occasionally sample pop and country but I generally find the music and lyrics to wear quickly so I seldom listen to those genres.

In the last five years the only song I bought on iTunes was a parody song my girlfriend wanted. Everything else Iā€™ve bought, a couple of dozen albums, has been off Bandcamp.

Iā€™m not really sure why others are piling on this. I resisted getting a music subscription for years, but in a family roundtable was outvoted.

Weā€™ve had Apple Music for maybe eight months, and I kinda like it ā€“ some new/old music found, and it has been an easy way to check out recommendations without having to deal with YouTube.

But if the decision were just mine, Iā€™d revert to just buying music.

Nothingā€™s stopping you from continuing to buy music. But you obviously arenā€™t paying attention to curated playlists, for example, because they open up a whole world of music you donā€™t know, or would never buy separately, each one representing dozens of albums. Why buy a limited number of albums from a small world you know (at current prices a year of AM for a family is equivalent to a minuscule 15 albums in a year) when thereā€™s a vastly wider universe of music available on demand in countless genres and the ability to drop in on song/albums/playlists of people with interesting taste? As I noted above, yesterday alone I sampled music from 20 albums I enjoyed, that I never would have bought, and never have to buy. By any metric Apple Music (or Spotify, or Pandora, or Tidal, or Deezer, or Pandora, or Amazon Music) pays for itself quickly if you even listen to as little as a couple of albums a month.