Thoughts about very little kids and computers

The first computer in our house also showed up when I was around this age (although it was the late 80s, so it was a Tandy 1000 running MS-DOS, haha). I think the age factor is an important distinction, since mostly what I am concerned about is not how older kids interact with computers, but how, if at all, younger kids (mine is 3) can have a positive introduction.

There is an overwhelming amount of research coming out from the experts saying that exposure to modern computing devices, as well as TV and video games, can have detrimental effects on young children, including vulnerability to ADHD later on. My own summation/interpretation of this research – and this could be off, this is just my current understanding – is that in their younger years children are in a critical period of synapse development which primarily requires sensory-based interactions in the physical world. From what I’ve read, it seems that the abstract level of engagement of digital devices actually inhibit or potentially limit this synaptic development from occurring. And the best-case scenario seems like there is just literally no benefit to the youngest children.

My own interest in this subject is not to argue that babies should use iPads (there is enough evidence to show this is not the best idea), but how and when young children should be introduced.

This is not a huge source anxiety for me, it’s more like – as a geek, anything that has a large portion of my interest (parenting in this case), is something that I am just bound to deep dive into, because that’s just how my brain works. I’m aware that being slightly obsessed with parenting itself probably is enough effort on my part that my kid will end up relatively well-adjusted. (If anything, I struggle to curb my innate tendencies away from this comically negative drone-like focus.)

I do find it interesting that so far in this thread there are actually way more people who have interest or concern than have clear, tested strategies that they feel confident in. This suggests that not only is this a hot topic for many of us, but also one lacking clear solutions.

I look forward to discussing this more and also reporting back as I come across additional reading on this subject.

Our kids should get together and go bowling or something. :wink:

1 Like

As an experienced teacher with a strong background in Early Childhood (pre-K to 3rd grade), I envision computers as an asset. It boggles my mind how much can be learned! The possibilities are endless.
I would monitor, however, what the children are doing, the length of time and if the software etc. is age-appropriate and facilitates learning. Of course, you want to stay clear of any violence. I’d look for some open-ended activities like art, creative writing.
Unlike video games, computers can even supplement the kids’ outdoor adventures. For instance, they can learn about different plants and critters. They can work on a diary. Once they get past a (common) possible reluctance to write, children just love writing stories which you can print up and have them illustrate, perhaps with crayons and pencils. If you get involved, you might find that your hesitancy may dissipate.
Never mind the current trends in research. In a few years, they may reach the opposite “findings”.
I also wouldn’t worry about a child developing ADD as it is congenital: you’re born with it. The effect on the eyes I worry about that myself. But kids want limits.
And, of course, kids need time to play which is how they learn. In far too many schools, teaching reading for the majority of children’s day in kindergarten is rather appalling. The little ones need to be cutting, pasting, painting, dancing and appreciating fine literature.
There is one piece of software I’d highly recommend – the Zoombinis. It teaches logic skills. Kids and teachers alike love it– even I play it. It’s developed for primary students. With your help, first graders might be able to use it. By the third grade, kids can pretty much play on their own once it is introduced. The adorable game is three or four dollars in the AppStore. Check it out. If you like it, let me know!

1 Like

Katie, it’s so nice to hear directly from a knowledgeable voice on this subject.

I love your point about supplementing a child’s exploration of the natural environment. I remember the drudgery of having to crack open a 20-volume home encyclopedia when I was a child or walk many blocks to the library in order to scratch an itch of curiosity, and I feel almost jealous of kids these days.

The ADHD issue seems to me a complex one…yes, there is certainly a condition that is congenital, but is the dramatic rise in diagnosis in recent years due only to only recently being able to clinically identify it, or is screen time related in some way? I see articles such as the following and I have to wonder.

I do understand your comments about “current trends” in research. So much of what gets published online, even from seeming authoritative sources seems to be oriented toward an alarmist or click-worthy bent.

I’ve not heard of Zoombinis – thank you, I will check it out!

1 Like

Thanks so much, Jmayhugh!

I am certainly no expert in Special Education. I had one course in grad school. The teacher literally read out of the book! (Likely THE worst “teacher” I had in college). I had a little third grader, at the time, I was quite fond of who was bouncing off the walls and I so needed some insight!

I did take a look at the articles you linked. And I just read that 75% of ADHD is caused by heredity. However the rest, perhaps like many other medical diagnoses, the experts don’t really know. In regards to an “addiction” to screen activities and ADHD, it begs the question “What came first– the chicken or the egg?” The kids, with ADD or not, will naturally gravitate toward what they find rewarding.

If other activities are not reaching these children, then the use of computers could conceivably be an asset. It is up to parents to monitor the usage.

I wouldn’t lump television with the use of computers. Television is a spectator activity while computers engage the user.

There could be a great deal to be gained by open ended computer activities. Your average kid might love to work on a journal. Many kids are reluctant to write as it is one of the hardest skills to acquire. But to do so on a computer is all the more fun! Plus their hands won’t cramp up as much. It also would help in keeping a record of something the child finds difficult. “Look how hard you found reading in the beginning of the school year and now you love it!”

Regular library visits, little field trips to the Art or Science museums the kids thoroughly enjoy and there is so much they absorb. Those interests can, in turn, lead to other interests. For many of us, our careers had their source in childhood. I was forever holding classes as a kid.

My Mom signed us up for lessons a great deal. I had swimming lessons, ballet, sewing (a disaster for me but my sister is very talented).

I’m with you! I do envy what kids have available to them! I look at some of the software and I can scarcely believe it. There’s a cool app wherein you can have a NASA spacecraft lift off right in your living room. Apollo 11 called JFK Moonshot. It’s free!

Let me know if you’d like any ideas, jmayhugh! I’d love to help!

How old are your kids? That makes a difference too!
—-
I just noticed your earlier post! You have a three year old. How wonderful! I would certainly introduce an iPad to a lil tyke. I’m not sure how long it would hold his or her attention but that could be a lot of fun. I truly doubt it would interfere with development. (The lil one can dictate experience stories to you!) Twenty minutes, a half hour!

You know, I’d certainly find it far better than all the tv we use to watch!

The thing I’d worry about would be their eyesight!

I’ll get back to you!
—-
I did a quick study. An hour to two hours per day seems to be the consensus of time for ages 3-5. I’d surmise– an hour and a half. If you’re interacting with your child the extra half hour is time well spent! Much of the research is concerning television as well as iPad use. The researchers tend to draw their much of their conclusions based on tv.

If there is that extra time spent away from the tv that should alleviate any misgivings you might have. I’d add a little time for a four or five year old.

1 Like

Minor update: I recently bought my 3 year old an Amazon Echo Dot Kids edition, and I feel like this was a good tech choice for her. She mostly uses it to listen to music, and this allows her to control the music without screen interactions (I previously let her use an old iPhone for this purpose, but it almost always turned into a distraction).

She does have the ability to listen to kids’ audiobooks on this device as well, but she still has a strong preference for Mom & Dad reading to her at night <3.

2 Likes

I also have a daughter that loves playing music on a smart speaker (in our case HomePod).

She spends hours dancing and singing, I’d definitely not class this as overuse of technology - I had dozens of tapes that I used to play as a kid and music is one of the best ways to improve language skills.

2 Likes

Children learn fast and the computers get more and more user friendly. I would’t be afraid that a child has trouble learning the tech if it starts a little later. But I would be concerned that it does not learn how to use its imagination, body, hands, creativity if it gets used to screens too early. I’d be concerned that a ground for screen or other addiction will already be laid if it learns to fight boredom or dysphoria with tech too early. Once they get access at all you will start a constant fight over screen time. I’d try to delay the start of this exhausting fight for as long and possible. They will spend more than enough time in front of a screen for the rest of their lives anyway.

I agree with you 100% (see my post above).

We tried allowing limited screen time on an iPad, but my daughter became obsessed. When we stopped it, it took a couple of weeks of tantrums, but she completely forgot about it and hasn’t mentioned using a mobile device for over two years (we’ve never allowed access to a phone).

Now she spends time playing, drawing, dancing and having fun. We play Xbox together at weekends, and record her piano in Logic, but aside from this she doesn’t use any screens.

I’m not sure when I want this to change, but I’ll be keeping both my kids mobile free for as long as possible.

1 Like