Thoughts on diagramming applications (OmniGrafle vs Diagrams)?

I’d try yEd - it’s free and, having used it for many years, I can attest that it’s very stable. It’s not a native macOS app (it’s cross platform and I’m pretty sure it’s written in Java), so it doesn’t play as well with automation tools as, say, Omnigraffle, but you pays your money and takes your choice…

1 Like

Have anyone tried MyDraw

Seems to be very cheap from Bundlehunt

I tried Mermaid because I like the idea of text-based diagrams. But it turns out that the benefit of a diagram is that it is visual - text with odd non-intuitive rules? Not so much.

I also tried the desktop version of draw.io (now diagrams.net?) but it, like most every other flowchart program, seems to be intended for people who work in large corporations and like to hold lots of meetings talking about business processes and lanes and blah blah blah…

As it turns out, Scapple seems to be just the right mix for me. Created a birding photo workflow diagram, then duplicated it and revised it for a general photo workflow diagram. It really helps me to think through things this way, finding bottlenecks, un-needed steps, etc.

h/t to @memex and @raeisch for the idea!

3 Likes