Time Machine and video calls

I’m using Time Machine to backup to my NAS over the (local) network. So far so good.

However, this morning I noticed that the video and sound quality of Teams degraded substantially when Time Machine was doing a backup. When I stopped the backup, all was fine again.

Has anyone else noticed such behavior? And if so, are you using any scripts to temporarily stop automatic Time Machine backups when in a call? If so, how?

I don’t know if it works in Big Sur, but TMEditor was made for this sort of thing.

Edit: I don’t know how to do what you want specifically, this is a more general approach

2 Likes

I have seen TIme Machine overutilize resources before though not exactly in this way.

CCC is superior to Time Machine in many ways - particularly for larger hard drives.

User configurability of Time Machine is limited. Plus there is a non-trivial risk that your Time Machine backup will be corrupt when you need it.

1 Like

Depending on your network hardware you can prioritize VoiP / Video streams over other data.

I’ve lost many TM backups over the years by backup sets getting somehow currupt. So I use it mainly for convenience, i.e. the easy option of retrieving an incidentally deleted file.

CCC is superior indeed (apart from the fact that it still doesn’t support dark mode :wink: ). Using that for my weekly clones (on- and offsite).

1 Like