Tips for spending iTunes Store credit

I’m thinking of switching countries on my Apple ID and one of the pre-requisite to doing so is spending all your store credit. I happen to have a fair bit ($167) and can’t nearly find enough things to spend it on. Apparently buying gift cards doesn’t work as they don’t get deducted from store credit. Is that correct?

What’s a good way to get through this amount?!

You can gift your store credit to all of your friends here. :grinning:

1 Like

Hahaha. Sure! Except for this:

“When you buy App Store & iTunes Gifts, they’re charged to the payment method that you have on file for your Apple ID, even if you have store credit available.”

Just make a list of 167 songs you like but have never owned, then go for it!

1 Like

they’re charged to the payment method that you have on file for your Apple ID, even if you have store credit available

:frowning: You weren’t supposed to read it that closely. :grinning:

1 Like

Why not keeping your Apple ID? If you need one for your new country, just create one and create a family with them both. So you pay with the current ID and use also with the new ID.

1 Like

Not sure if this is ok with apple’s terms or not (think it is), but if you can find someone who will give you cash in exchange, you can send an app/movie to someone as a gift and they pay you outside of iTunes. Just go for something expensive like Things or a movie bundle or something.

And if you’re looking for apps/movies to buy, shameless plug for MDM Deals where there’s lots of interesting stuff to discover.

1 Like

Don’t think that would work, @MarkDMill . See my earlier comment about how gifts are charged.

1 Like

I’ll help you spend it! :wink:

1 Like

@Ajay what country are you switching out of? I would not recommend switching out of the USA as they have much more selections available than other countries. I live in Thailand but have the USA as my designated Apple store

1 Like

You must spend it and you cannot spend it on gifts.

Having two Apple IDs for different countries is a valid shot, but it can turn out complicated.

Just spend it on some movies. They are pricy enough to get you drained, still you get a lot of content.

1 Like

As a developer I say don’t buy movies buy apps! Ever been interested in omnifocus, sold :wink:

1 Like

As a half-decent Mac Power User I bought OmniFocus way, way back!

2 Likes

Looks like iVIP Black would clear out your account.

1 Like

Final Cut Pro would wipe that out, and then some.

1 Like

I have been using a Canadian and USA Apple account for years. No complications involved really. Living close to the US border, and doing some shopping in the US still, I do need apps (stores, etc) that are not available in the Canadian App Store.

You could also treat yourself to buying/renting movies or software. Pretend it is your birthday!

1 Like

Remember, they have other good apps at the OmniGroup. What about OmniOutliner?

1 Like

I thought that the MacSparky Field Guides would be a good place to start! I’ve gotten 60 Mac Tips, Volume 2 and the iPhone Field Guide. Is 60 Mac Tips, Volume 1 still relevant or should I not bother getting it given that it came out in 2012 and I already have Volume 2?

Mission accomplished! Here’s what got me there:

• File List Export
  • MacSparky’s iPhone Field Guide
  • Yoink for iOS (I already have it and use it on the Mac and thought it might be useful)
  • Affinity Photo
  • Affinity Designer
  • 1Blocker X (I’ve been using the legacy version of 1Blocker on iOS and Mac so far)
  • Reeder 3 for Mac (again, I use it heavily on iOS)
  • Blackbar
  • MacSparky’s 60 Mac Tips, Vol. 1 (since it was updated in 2017 I thought it might still be relevant. I already have Vol. 2.)
  • Toothfairy

The big ticket items were Affinity Photo and Designer. They look like solid products and I think they will be useful for my work. Thank you all for your suggestions :slight_smile:

Now the mammoth task of changing regions on my Apple ID account (from US to India) awaits me. I hope it goes smoothly :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes