To M1 or Not to M1: That Is the Question

Follow up:

I bought a base model M1 MacBook Air. I got the base model for 2 reasons:

1. From all the reviews I read, 8GB is plenty unless you are doing memory-intensive apps such as graphics or games. I do neither and, after a few days using it full time, I have to agree.
  2. I usually increase drive size when I buy a computer, but a few people suggested getting the 256GB drive and using an external SSD for data storage. Since I already had a 500GB SSD that my office gave me for my iPad Pro, that made sense. I have installed all the apps I had before plus a few that I added, and I still have 107GB remaining. I have some data files that are living on the internal drive for now (limited Dropbox, OneDrive, PCloud Drive), which I can migrate to the external drive, if necessary.

I’m not real happy with the lack of ports. I somewhat overcame this by getting a USB-C hub, which gives me 3 USB 3.0 ports, a VGA, an HDMI, an Ethernet (I have GB Ethernet at my office), and a power in. That gives me 1 remaining USB-C for my SSD drive).

At home or in the office, I run to external monitors, so the 13" screen size is not a big factor. Besides, the small size makes it easier to carry back and forth or carry it to meetings, etc…or travel, if that ever happens again.

All in all, I think it was the right decision. The Mac Mini was an attractive option, but I just think it would have been a lot more hassle to transport it, and it would only be useful at my office desk or my home desk.

Thanks to all for the input.

Tony

2 Likes

You made a very wise choice. :slight_smile: