To Things or not to Things (3)

That’s some bad news… I looked at their job description and there is a sample project: “ Let’s create a simple backend for a web-based to-do app. The backend should support basic use cases like logging in and dealing with to-dos. It should also provide an export feature.”

To get a web app for Things 4, Cultured Code will definitely need a subscription. There’s no way around it unless someone has it figured out.

The 2Do app is also trying to figure out what to do with their app as well…

they already have a platform, in “things cloud”, so far used only to sync the database.

Sync is not what I meant

I know, just pointing out that they have already made a first step in the “platform” direction with the sync “service”.

Not that I mean the web app will / could be built upon the sync service or that the cost of maintaining it will /would be the same.

:smiley:

Well, there are a million apps with sync services and no web apps. They can easily be mutually exclusive.

yes

(20 characters bla bla bla)

So it looks like D’Alessio was onto something…

So. Since becoming trapped at home, my brain keeps telling me that the power of Omnifocus is just getting in the way whereas Things would be nice and smooth and buttery.

Stupid brain.

4 Likes

It’s not true. Many of us are trying to deal with enough complexity in task management that Things becomes overloaded.

I mean, no built in saved searches!

2 Likes

Yeah I probably just need to do a major review, rip out the wires, drop a bunch of tasks from The Before Times, and rebuild it for my current reality.

3 Likes

I think this is probably the way to go. I’ve recently deleted a TON of projects that were either outdated or were able to be combined. For example, in the past I had a project for each of the repeating editorial features in a publication I create. Now I have one project for each issue, and all tasks go inside that project. I use tags to differentiate if I need to do that for some reason, but I’ve learned that since all those “sub-projects” are due at the same time (the drop-dead file-due date), having a bunch of separate projects wasn’t giving me anything useful.

Defer dates, due dates, and tags have been enough for me. So far.

1 Like

What’s the best way of adding reminders to Things with Alexa? Just IFTTT/Zapier?

A big issue for me is that the OF web app still doesn’t have perspectives.

I have to use a PC at work which makes Todoist seem like the best choice.

Omnifocus is the answer to all of the cons listed. Powerful and concise.

I was an OF user for a long time before switching to Things. While there’s a lot to like about OmniFocus, I did not like that I couldn’t see notes in a task or project at the same time as all the other details. I didn’t like the lack of headings in projects.

Things may be less powerful than OF. But for me, at least, it’s less powerful in a helpful way.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t even say less powerful. While OmniFocus plans deep and requires to have a system to surface those depths. Things is planning flat, not deep, your structure is more on the level of visibility (someday vs active) and selection on that level.
In both apps you can get lost and lack of a weekly (or in that case, regular of any kind of) review is going to compromise the usefulness. For me it comes down to preference, especially, with which design decisions I can live better and have less friction.
This definitely is Things for now.

3 Likes