Todoist vs. Omnifocus 4

Thanks for the clarification! It’s been a while for me.

1 Like

If anyone is considering Todoist, the current pricing will be locked in if you upgrade to pro/business before 6th June. After that, it’s increasing.

3 Likes

I think that’s really worth doing. I’ve got the business plan which gives me more projects. With the changes the business plan will cost the same as the pro version does now.

I’ve been using Omnifocus quite a lot but I found I just didn’t use it effectively because my work laptop is Windows. I really don’t like using apps via the browser, and since I made the one-off purchase for Omnifocus 3, I begrudge paying $5 a month for the web interface.

I’m trying Todoist and so far really like it. I love that is can be used on a Windows machine, even if it might feel non-native on Mac (my devices for a todo app are primarily iPad, iPhone, Windows).

The Todoist widget has been acting weird for me in iOS this week. Instead of showing my tasks it shows a generic “sign in” screen like I haven’t signed into the app. When things break like this they’re usually fixed quickly, but I also like to use the opportunity to look around at other apps a bit.

I love that Things 3 shows you your calendar and tasks in one very nice screen so I figured it might be worth a look at again, even though my recollection of my last use was that it involved a lot of clicking around vs Todoist’s natural language input.

There’s a few deal breakers for me. No web app is inconvenient, but not a big deal, though I do need to use other platforms from time to time. But then I got looking at the apps. Here in Canada it’s $27.99 for the iPad app (granted, could probably get by without it), $13.99 for iOS, and $69.99 for desktop. That’s $111 for an app that doesn’t work outside the Apple ecosystem. I can buy two years of Todoist with that (with some leftover) and use the web/windows versions, iPad, iPhone, Watch etc.

If I was exclusively on Mac for home and work maybe, but as is - it just doesn’t work for my needs. Seems to me they cater to a very small segment of the population.