Tracking very long term tasks

Brutally honest :rofl: (Emphasis mine…)

I put everything in my task manager. I find it easier to set a reminder that shows up better for me. I set the due date to the actual date that the passport/driving license/insurance etc expires and then have it show up in my available list an appropriate amount of time ahead of the due date (insurance, 1 month; passport, 9 months and so on). I prefer that to putting it in the calendar for 9 months earlier than the expiry date.

When I have changed task managers in the past (shocking, I know), I ensure that everything is transferred over, transferring project by project or whatever is necessary.

2 Likes

I’ve been using OmniFocus since before my last tetanus booster, so an annual review of a 10-year repeating task doesn’t seem all that outlandish or risky to me. But, yeah, when the time comes for me to have to change task managers, it’s not like I’m just going to drop everything I have in OF and walk away. I’ll have a plan.

1 Like

I am surprised you all are needing to record medical this way. These are all things I would get a notice about, or get asked about in the course of a regular visit. If I switched doctors I would port my records, and even if I didn’t, they would still know my age and general health as far as colonoscopies and such go.

(I’m not saying not to do it!)

1 Like

Don’t know about Chris but there is no computerised medical record in my area that is not attached to a specific doctor and most of the records are paper not electronic.

Not at all the standard practice in the US. IMO one of the big pitfalls of a For Profit medical system. Medical records are often considered the property of the medical entity or business you go to. Now we do have the righht to get copies of them but it can be very expensive if you have a bunch of paper records as I did.

2 Likes

Ah, I didn’t realize people could be prevented from that. I’m in the US and have always been able to get my paper records out, thankfully.

1 Like

I was able to get them out but I had to pay for the copying fees.

2 Likes

You have a right to be able to get them, but that’s a pain sometimes.

We have two hospitals less than 20 miles from one another. My girlfriend normally goes to one for her medical care, but we took her to the ER at the other one one night because it was the closest.

They needed some record that her “main” hospital had. The “main” hospital had to look it up, and they faxed a copy. Fax. And from the look of it when it came in, it almost looked like they’d printed out their record and used a physical paper fax machine. Oh…and it took two hours. Her situation (thankfully) wasn’t serious enough that the delay caused treatment issues, but that still felt like a heck of a long wait for a record requested by an ER.

So…electronic records are cool, when they work. But there are definitely still rough edges. And this was last year, not a decade ago.

For most situations, I’ve found that others are less interested in the things you need than you are. Best to manage one’s own recurring tasks. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d use a calendar reminder because I’ve been using iCal since it started and expect to be using it for a long time to come. If something better did come along I’d do my very best to port things over to whatever the new system is.

I’d also put a reminder in Apple Reminders as a backup. Because chances are Apple will keep migrating this for me as things change.

Great Question.

First. 10 years is a very long time to not visit your health care provider. They should be reviewing labs, immunizations, exams at least every 1-2 yrs. Protocols change and when something needs to be done may very well change if better evidence is available.

Second. I would encourage you to have a Medical/Dental record that you review at least annually. It should have all of your previous illnesses, surgeries, allergies etc., along with dates, who did it and possibly why it was done. When you see your primary care they will ask for this info. Always good to have it up to date, you never know when an emergency will occur.

BONUS TIP. ask family and relatives for any disease history. You may find it interesting to know that for example, your Paternal grandfather had a heart attack at 50, your dad had a heart attack at 51, and you are 40. The doctor might treat you differently based on your family’s cardiovascular disease history. If you wait to find out when filling out the form, you may forget. It could be an interesting holiday dinner conversation.

Third. You need to use a system that is secure and has reminders for this information. Personally, I use Evernote for just this type of material. I can scan anything in and set a reminder for when to review it. When I’m at the doctor’s office, it is easily retrievable. This could go into a 1Password, or another secure platform if you are more concerned, but they don’t have active reminders for review. Scrolling through a calendar for your tonsillectomy and your vasectomy could take a while. A calendar reminder to review “medical in 1Password” or a 6-month to-do list would also be fine.

Forth. If it is a multiple-step project (i.e. GTD terms) consider making it a project and moving it out to when you want to start working on it. A passport renewal should not a have due date for when it expires. About 6 months out you could start the project for “New Passport”. What forms, what is required, How much, new cool photo, etc. Any good project management should work here.

I do this with my credit cards, driver’s license, passports, Nursing license, vehicle registration, home warranty expiration etc. all into Evernote.

I hope this helps.
Joe

1 Like

I see my primary care provider at least once per year, that’s not the issue. The problem is tracking things that I don’t need to ask my primary care provider about every year, like a tetanus booster shot every 10 years.

Sir,

I understand that. The problem is that is what they are responsible for determining what is necessary and how often. You may think its only 10 years. But if you step on a nail in 2 years, you will get another booster, then your system is off and you won’t trust it. It is good to double check, but I consider that as something I have out-sourced to an expert.

Joe

Considering it’s been at least 15 years since I got a tetanus booster before my primary care provider brought it up, the experts didn’t do a very good job tracking it in this case.

4 Likes

Reminders app - I have a separate list for long term items like this. I’m guessing Apple isn’t gonna get rid of it anytime soon.

1 Like

Lots of ways you could do this.

I would suggest an annual recurring task on January 1 titled “Long-term Items for future” with details therein.

I’ve had my international certificate of vaccinations booklet for 35 years. It’s where you’ll want your tetanus shot noted anyway. (I stapled my COVID vaccination card inside the booklet.)

1 Like