Unresponsive Dock Icons

I have a 2020 iMac with 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7 and 64Gb RAM.
It usually works perfectly and gives me good performance from the mundane to movie creation.
During the last month I have had a strange problem on three occasions when app icons in the dock have been unresponsive to mouse/track pad clicks. This has always happened in the evening after leaving the computer on, but unused, for an hour or so. The iMac has worked perfectly all day.
Restarting my iMac has always solved the unresponsive dock item issue.
Can anyone offer any explanation?

Take a look at Console Log and Activity Monitor to see if any clues there.

It might be useful, to provide some more informations.
What Apps were stuck?
Could it be, that those Apps were working in the Background?
Was there maybe an update in progress for those Apps?

Is it every icon in the dock or just some?

If it is the latter have you tired right clicking on the dock icon to see if the app has become unresponsive?

Is the dock otherwise functional? For example, if you launch another application does it correctly show up in the dock? If you empty the trash does the doc icon update?

These tests could help determine if it an app (or apps) that are hanging or if it is the dock that is have the issue.

Thank you for the suggestions.
No dock icons would respond. Some were open but would not respond to trackpad click to close. Others would not open. There were no updates in progress.
The unresponsive dock problem happened three times, but has not happened again. In the meantime, I updated to OS 13.2.

1 Like

Thank you. I will check activity monitor if this happens again.
It only happened three times and has not happened again.
I have updated to 13.2 since the last occurrence.