Update on Finder Software Alternative?

I can’t locate a number .MOV files (sadly)

I’ve learned how to do an advanced search but for some reason after a restart I get a different result with the same search criteria (which is another question?).

A search for “Named” with extension as “.MOV” and a new search “Kind” as Quick Time found files from a number of years ago but none of the ones I’m looking for.

Possibly I should install some software to assist …?

Any suggestions would be appreciated please and thank you.

Have you tried rebuilding the spotlight index? it will take a little while after to reindex.

1 Like

Fortunately/unfortunately, most of these Spotlight alternatives just search the same database that Spotlight creates. I love Alfred, and I use it to find stuff all the time, but it can’t find anything that Spotlight can’t find. It might search a little differently, return results in a different order, and let me process results differently, but the database itself is the same.

2 Likes

How comfortable are you with Terminal? The Unix find command would probably serve you well here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay this seems to be showing some results now I’ve made some changes here. Fingers crossed… Really appreciate your feedback!

Good, I’m glad it helped!

I might resort to terminal commands, but for now I’ve some success with rebuilding the spotlight index … so far, thanks for the suggestion.

Heard so much about Alfred …I’ll have to look at that …appreciate the suggestion