UPDATE: Replace iPad or its Battery?

Also, in my experience, an iPad of any vintage with a garbage battery is worth relatively little. If it’s being passed on to a spouse / child, or sold face-to-face, the battery would be a good investment as it addresses a primary failure point.

Services like Gazelle or whatever won’t care, but a private party will.

3 Likes

Funnily enough after the advice I gave you, I went and purchased a current M2 iPad Pro 11” to replace my 2018 iPad Pro. lol

I am getting tired of the app and safari tab reloads. The way I use my iPad, I don’t think I’ll need the next version. Of course, if it’s a revolutionary upgrade, I can always offload the one I just bought since resale will still be decent.

1 Like

I plan to replace my iPad battery tomorrow. I’ll update the iPad if the new versions are compelling and the repurpose my current one with the new battery.

What problems were you having with the app and tab reloads?

2 Likes

I’ve just been noticing more and more Safari tabs rarely pop back where I left them and (anecdotally) seem to reload almost every time I go back to the tab. I’ve also noticed some apps seem to be reloading themselves and not keeping their place as much.

So I’m hoping this new iPad reduces a lot of those issues. And with the rumors of the 2023/2024 iPad, I’m not sure I need to wait for that anyway. I saved some money through an Apple discount program and by staying in the same size I have now, meaning no new keyboard, which is nice.

And for me, there’s always resale if the 2023/2024 iPad is compelling.

1 Like

I’m providing this update because it may be helpful to others.

Yesterday, I took the iPad to the Apple Store, intending to have the battery replaced. They diagnosed it and found that battery health was at 92%, so it did not need to be replaced.

They recommended that I reset the iPad to factory settings and then manually reinstall apps rather than from a backup.

This seems to have solved the problem. I’ve been using my iPad most of the day (6:30-2:00), and I still have 44% left on the battery.

5 Likes

That’s good to know. When I was planning to keep my 2018, I downloaded a Mac tool (can’t remember the name at this point, but something like CoconutBattery) that let me plug the iPad into the MBP to see what I was at (I’ve heard Apple will refuse to change the battery until it is below 80%). Might come in handy in the future for you.

Also interesting that reinstalling had that much benefit. I feel like one of the things touted about iPads is that processes and things can’t runaway as easily, which should help protect against battery drain?

1 Like

It’s great to see that resetting is still the most powerful support advice ever! It never fails to fix a myriad of problems.

My Power User mindset is not satisfied by this. When you shared your app energy usage no rogue apps were clearly identifiable. Something does not compute here!

But my Civilian User mindset says: “Uhm… whatever”.

3 Likes

It helped my iPhone 11. It was getting pretty flaky so I wiped it and did a clean install yesterday. Looks like it fixed everything except Siri, and I didn’t expect it could.

I suspect that there was cruft left behind from “rogue” apps I’ve installed, tried, and deleted. Examples would OmniFocus, Craft, Things, Carrot Weather, various RSS readers, UpNote, NotePlan, NordVPN, MarginNote, and the like.

Only Apple can fix Siri. “Hey Tim …. “

1 Like

Sometimes weird stuff happens. After a version.x iOS update a few years ago, I had terrible battery drain on my phone, something like 10% per hour while it just sat there with the screen off. Things that I did (in order):

1. Killed all the apps (background runaways happen).
  2. Restarted phone.
  3. Checked power use by app (nothing unusual).
  4. Reset phone and restored from backup.
  5. Reset the phone and did not restore from backup (pretended it was a new phone and just let it sit for a couple of hours)

None of that worked to resolve the issue so I finally performed DFU reset, which fixed the issue.

I’m similarly unsatisfied with having no real understanding what happened but my best guess is that a tiny bug in the update process left the phone in a state in which it would never go into its low power mode.