Update: Results of my 30 day iPad Exclusive Use Experience

I could not agree more. Macs used to feel fast. Mojave just brought an older iMac to its’ knees (Not to worry - I already ordered more RAM for it). Every MAC application is syncing, and talking to the Mommy Ship.

1 Like

It feels like it is faster to boot up a Windows machine. MacOS X takes its sweet time just to start up.

Yeah, High Sierra worked fine on my 2014 Mac Mini. Mojave gives me the spinning beach ball of doom now… I hope there’s an update to fix this. Otherwise it’s time to get a new Mac Mini.

Regarding external storage, an app that I use every day is FileBrowser. Similar to the other mentioned by Tonny, but also has the added benefit of Files integration and access to FTP servers. The Files integration is excellent and allows you to actually use the Files app to access network devices and drives. Or, use them both for drag and drop between them.

2 Likes

This looks promising. Thanks.

As a heavy Excel user in my day to day, I could never move to the iPad as my main computer. I have a hard enough time using the MacbookPro because of the screen real estate. Like you said, perhaps one day iOS will up its spreadsheets game.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Def agree that iOS platform is likely the future but it needs to evolve further for a user like me to consider not owning a macOS machine.

1 Like

Would plugging a new iPad Pro into a large screen be a step forward?

This is the only real issue I have had with it too. Although not worth me going back to Macbook for it as even the OSX version misses VBA so I’ve just accepted it and use work Windows laptop when I have to do something in depth.

What is it besides Excel sheets that’s holding you back from giving up the Mac?

Besides the Apple Smart Keyboard, I want to an external keyboard for writing longer pieces, I find the Smart Keyboard for the 11’ just a tad too small for extended periods of writing. I was sugggested the Apple Magic Keyboard:

Any other suggestions out there for a good external keyboard?

Also, I want to be able to protect the iPad when traveling and carrying it in my bag to work etc. is it necessary to get some sort of slieve or similar to protect it?

Keyboards can be a very personal preference. For quality keys, durability and size (both key size and smallness overall) the Apple model is pretty good.

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere on this forum - Federico Viticci of MacStories found he liked the Fintie carrying case/stand for the Magic Keyboard, which is cheaper and more stable than the better-known Canopy case (two of which Viticci wore out!). It harkens back to an earlier case, now discontinued, called the Origami. He writes about it and the Canopy here:

1 Like

As someone who does some academic writing while managing citations, I am curious to know what workflows you have found to meet this need. I have struggled to find a truly satisfying replacement for the many “cite while you write” options available on macOS. It is one of the barriers standing between me and using an iPad full time (besides my preference for using a larger screen when possible).

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

1 Like

Perhaps something here might prove useful… https://appademic.tech/tag/citation-management/

How does Citationsy work compared to EndNote or Mendeley? I like both apps for reading and annotation journal articles on my iPad, but don’t offer inline citation ability on iOS the same way they work on Mac/PC

I can’t speak to this directly at this point as much of my formal academic writing is behind me after earning the doctorate. I still use Papers 3 for keeping and referencing my citations. It is not an ideal application but serviceable.

1 Like

Inline citations is the only thing keeping me from going iPad-only, for academic writing anyway.

Unfortunately I can’t comment as I’ve not had occasion to use any of these. I just happened to have recently looked at that page by chance.

1 Like

Very interesting summary and well put, and, similar to my own experience with using Apple Notes on the iPad.

As a previous Evernote (still lightly use the free version) user, I was looking for an alternative for iOS and have been using Bear for a few months. Great app! It just feels faster and more fluid, to me. Does not have folders, but does have a very effective tagging system and the tags can be nested.

1 Like

Not much. I suppose I would miss Hazel. Some things in OF is much easier to address on a Mac. Manipulating PDFs seems easier on the Mac as well.

Excel would absolutely be the #1 thing. Someone mentioned VBA and when I really need to get to that level, I would use VMware and run Excel from there.

I’m starting to get into some of the newer tools like PowerPivot, PowerQuery and most of this stuff is taught through Windows Excel so might be stuck in a desktop or laptop situation in the near future.

And because of that, I probably haven’t wanted to explore some of the other iOS limitations. I do a lot of stuff on the iPad and save some stuff specifically for MacOS because I know I’ll be on that platform on a daily basis.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link @Denny. I’ll check out the suggestions here. Unfortunately I’m ideally looking for a single app solution that helps me store, organize, read/annotate papers and then cite them. I currently use Papers 3, and I’m waiting on the new Papers ReadCube app to be available on the Mac as well to give it a try. I agree with @Bmosbacker that Papers is not ideal as it is.