Usability Rant: Why I hope 1password gets acquired by Apple

Just ran into this typical “issue” with 1password:
I want to turn on sync for Workflow (which is 1password-friendly - great!) on my iPad. I put 1password next to Workflow in a split screen, created a new password, dragged it to Workflow (with some difficulty) and created my Workflow account. Excellent.
However, it did not prompt me to save it as a new login item. Back in 1password on my iPad, I tried to convert it from a password to a login, but could not. So I had to go to my Mac to convert it there.
Off to my iPhone to sync Workflow there as well. When trying to log into Workflow, the new login in 1password had not sync’ed yet. Went into 1password, dragged to sync, back into Workflow, it was there and off I went.

Here’s the rant: Why is this so hard? Why do I have to go via the Mac to finish this task? And why did I have to exit Workflow on both iPad and iPhone to complete this? As a devoted “MacPowerUserista” I know what I had to do. But for someone else, it’s way too hard to make this work. No wonder people keep reusing passwords - it’s much easier to type them in.

I hope Apple acquires AgileBits and integrates it deeply to make these tasks easier for non-power-users. And equally important, to serve up the 1password button on every login screen. Most login screens I see still don’t allow me to log in via 1password in iOS.

Apple could fix this, if they wanted.

What do you think?

1 Like

There was recently a thing in the news about this potentially happening. AgileBits responded with a resounding “not happening.” It’s definitely possible though. The biggest bottleneck is 1Password doesn’t have 1st tier access to logins in apps. What I mean is they don’t show up as auto-suggestions and can’t be asked to be saved without opening the share sheet. The auto-suggestions part is definitely coming in iOS 12 (Apple is giving the required level of access available to developers), not sure about being able to save without opening the share sheet.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. And while Apple putting some password management into Safari is one thing, Apple giving it first tier access throughout all of the OS is a different thing. They don’t need 1password for that; they can do that on their own. If that happens, 1password will be sherlocked. If AgileBits does not take Apple’s offer (assuming there will be one), I’d call it a gutsy move…

1 Like

Why are you dragging everything? There’s a perfectly usable copy function in 1Password that never fails.

2 Likes

I use 1Password cross platform - including Windows. I certainly hope for that reason that they continue to stay independent.

1 Like

No, I hope those rumors are false and they stay independent. Apple added the 1Password integration in iOS 12. No need for them to acquire them just for that.

Also, you could do the same rant about some features not available on iOS for Apples own apps as well. You cannot add subfolders in Notes on iOS for exampl, or get a link for an email message on an iPhone without drag and drop.

1 Like

I don’t see a reason for Apple to buy 1Password. Keychain handles most of what people need. While Apple may have deployed 1Password across their employees, that is a far cry from buying a company. That said who knows what Apple will buy with the spare change in Tim’s office chair.

Have you posted this to the 1Password forums as a feature request?

Ben

3 Likes

When I tried to log into talk.macpowerusers.com with 1Password just now it wouldn’t fill out the login. While it listed a suggested site which was indeed the login I created on 1Password for the talk.macpowerusers site it refused to even display the log in info so I could copy it, let alone paste it into the site.
Hopefully the new API will help with that.

1 Like

I hope they stay independent as well, and I think you’re right: Keychain handles 95% of what “normal” users want to get from a password service. 1Password is the first thing I put on my devices now, and it’s the first thing that I suggest to users who are ready to step up their password game.

1 Like

I’ve been lumping along for years with 1 Password simply because the various podcasts I’ve listened to seem to think it’s the best thing since sliced bread. I’m certainly not a power user with it and I jumped for joy when Apple introduced password saving in Safari.
I think Agile Bits is creating this giant feature bloated tool that only power users can take advantage of.

1 Like

1Password is a power tool. It does more then most people will need, but it is relatively easy to start using for the basics. That said, there are plenty of good password managers, both free and paid.

Personally I don’t understand why anyone would not want to use a password manager. I literally have hundreds of logins stored in 1Password. Almost all of them have unique passwords, so if one is compromised the rest are safe. This last week I received a phishing email with an all digit password in the subject. It was a password I use for creating accounts on services I don’t care about. If I had used the same password for my important accounts that means I would have had to worry. As it were I didn’t care.

Ben

1 Like

And speaking of password managers, LastPass Premium is part of a humble bundle at:

A years subscription for only $6. I have heard good things about it. I do not receive anything for the above link I just think everyone should use a password manager.

Ben

Yes, that is one reason I don’t use Apple Notes. It is frustrating to have to go to the Mac to manage folders.

1 Like

This is my struggle with family and friends. Not only does it make you more secure but its easier to use than typing passwords in.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of 1Password, but I do like to play with all the different password managers. I’m finding Dashlane to be very easy to use, a lot easier than 1Password. I trust the security model of 1Password more but the people who don’t get computers I’m finding it easier to recommend Dashlane to them.

1 Like

Dashlane has the Password Changer feature, which makes changing a password a breeze. I wish 1Password had that functionality.

That feature is not what its cracked up to be. All the sites that it does it for are not so popular ones. The worst part is that they change the password on there server so at one point your old password, new password, and username is in plaintext. Other than the password changer Dashlane is not so bad.

I have used Dashlane on several platforms. Satisfied. No comparisons/endorsements no experience with other apps.

Ug never mind then. When it first came out I tried it and the feature seemed neat, but if they are storing the password on their server, no thanks.