USB-C Done. What next for EU to standardize

It occurs to me that a pub is exactly where one would find the sort of person with a loudly-argued-but-logical-sounding reason why that little bit extra matters. :smiley:

3 Likes

Subscription overload?

Imagine the uproar if they changed to UK pints :beers::joy:.

But since we are on the topic of EU standardisation: I suggest an EU pint of 500 ml. About halfway between US and UK pint and a rounder number, similar to the AUS pint. :eu:

2 Likes

It will all be moot soon if Musk’s plan to move Twitter behind a paywall happens after which its direct competitor will be Truth Social and the two right-wing owners can slug it out as they ignore user numbers rapidly decline.

I think it’s important to remember that people don’t have to be on a “wing”. Elon probably averages to somewhere in the center, maybe leaning just a tiny bit to the right - mostly because he’s a “free market” guy.

The thing with Twitter/X/Elon is that he’s described himself as a “free speech absolutist.” He doesn’t necessarily agree with the views of the whackadoodle people - but he’s pretty committed to not censoring speech, unless there’s some sort of legal requirement for doing so.

I don’t think that’s the most horrible thing, as there are a number of things that are now commonly-known and accepted now that were “misinformation” according to social media platforms during the pandemic. But it’s definitely something where we need to figure out where the balance is.

3 Likes

Extremism is the bookends of society. It exists far from the core of an ordered community.

Really! Evidence to the contrary.

But that’s probably enough thread-drift now.

3 Likes

Fortunately we have sites to rate publications based on the direction they lean, so we can consider the source when evaluating claims:

and even sites that actively track the stories that are presented by each media outlet, and categorize them by the political orientation of the outlets that report them:

The whole point of the above discussion - Elon aside - is that people are becoming all-too-quick to paint those they disagree with as “far-" or "-wing.” Reporting is selective, on both sides. Bias is real, on both sides.

It’s true of people, and it’s true of publications. It’s worth realizing and working to address.

2 Likes

I quit trusting the US media several years ago when I ran across a story in a UK publication about a former president who had been openly having an affair. AFAIK not one domestic news publication had carried the story. Since then if the New York Times says the sky is blue I verify the story with the foreign press.

2 Likes

This is why I’ve made it a practice when dealing with the media to only do so in written form. I will not be interviewed for TV reporters without a written commitment that they will air the interview without edits, or seek my approval for those edits. I learned this valuable lesson early in my career. My stock answer when approached by the media for an interview is, “Please send your questions to me and I will be happy to respond by email. If you wish to interview me, I will do so only on the condition that you air the entire interview or I give my approval for planned edits.”

2 Likes

That’s not really an option for me for several reasons. :blush:

The next thing to standardise is for everyone to drive on the left-hand side of the road. :grin:

3 Likes

Most Americans are incapable of turning left at an intersection without crossing into the oncoming lane. Don’t ask us to change. Anything like that will have to wait until it can be programmed into an automated road.

We already risk our life everytime we visit your country because we forget to look to the right before crossing the street. :grinning:

2 Likes

:scream::scream::scream:

That brings back memories of driving a car in England. All my well-trained German driving reflexes were wrong. Kept of hitting the door when I wanted to change gears. Also using the same hand for indicating and gear changing was unpractical for me.

Biking is fine though. Easy to get used to. Did it a lot as a student. Although changing from RHT to LHT messes with your mind when going home for Christmas.

Indeed!! I had a close call in Australia. I was scheduled to give a keynote and was walking downtown with my host to the conference center. I looked left and proceeded to cross the street. My host jerked me back, frowned, and with the indignant look of a parent with a disobedient child, pointed down. Starring at me were large yellow letters “Look Right!” Too close for comfort! :grimacing:

1 Like

Tut tut tut :grin:. If you had grown up in the UK the Green Cross Code Man would have taught you to always look both ways when crossing the street.

IMG_1413

2 Likes

I will concede that if and only if all cars have manual transmissions, even the electrics. And, the electrics have to be charged by USB-C ( to keep this on topic :stuck_out_tongue: )

Of course the original Green Cross Code man was David Prowse.

David Prowse was the actor who played the original Darth Vader (voice by James Earl Jones of course)

1 Like

We were on vacation in northern England last summer, beautiful country! Driving left was not a big issue, I got used to it pretty quick, the number of roundabouts made me dizzy though :smiley: … The biggest issue was driving left while sitting on the left as a driver, but off-course this is only an issue when driving a left-seated-driver car.

Some recent research does seem to explain that driving left could be safer. It also has some information on the historical reasons for driving left or right. :slight_smile:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0013935120301389

Ok yall — this forum is not a place for politics, per Rule 7. Please keep that in mind for future threads.

2 Likes