Using Apple Reminders for GTD

I’ve been using Things for many years and love the simplicity of it. Entering tasks is so quick and easy compared to the multiple steps required in Reminders (eg, clicking that (i) to get to the details).

However, I’d like to have more ability to filter and sort various tasks. For example, I would like to see a list of completed tasks from the past month from a given project or area. I can’t figure out how to do this in Things. However, it can be done in Reminders via Smart Lists or Shortcuts.

Is there an easy way to export all tasks from Things to Reminders that includes the sub elements of each task? The two linked options don’t work.

Thanks for the great discussion.

@Bmosbacker Or you should NOT try GoodTask if whatever you’re using now is working for you. :slight_smile:

@cdeck Still the same limitation. My workaround is to not use native Reminders tags. I just use GoodTasks’ own tagging system.

When I eventually get all three of my devices upgraded to iOS16/iPadOS16/Ventura, I expect I’ll see if I can just make do with the native Reminders app.

@oldblueday I’ve always viewed switching task software as an opportunity to clean up my task list. indeed, I realize now that has often been a primary reason to switch. Now that I’ve identified that problem, I can think of better ways to do that kind of drastic cleanup.

1 Like

Then you manually move everything over? Cut-and-paste, rinse, repeat? What’s your better way?

1 Like

I like Things as well.

I used it for about two years, but the app’s readability could be further improved. It bugs me that it limits the to-do’s title to one line (I have to expand each to-do to see the full title), and it groups to-dos by projects.

The old way was to switch task managers, using automated tools to move everything over where available, or cutting-and pasting.

The last time I switched was several months ago, from Things to GoodTasks, with a brief stop in naked Reminders. I cut-and-pasted a lot of tasks, until after a while I stopped seeing the point of it. I still have dozens of tasks in Things. I need to review those to see if there’s anything I actually need to keep.

Next time I decide I need to make a fresh start with tasks, I will simply start a new list or lists in Reminders. Problem solved without starting a new task manager.

With OmniFocus, you can export tasks into TaskPaper format, and then re-import them, which seems like a great way of getting a fresh start.

1 Like