Voice typing on Sonoma 14.0

I’m running MacOS Sonoma 14.0 on an M2 Air. When using voice recognizing to type this dialogue comes up. See attached for examples with Keynote and Ulysses. I must have accidentally installed or enabled something, but cannot track it down. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I invoke voice dictation by pressing control twice.

What does the button between the app icon and the search field do?

It doesn’t actually do anything. And when I dictate, nothing happens either.

I have a vague recollection of enabling Google dictate some time ago. But I cannot find an app to turn it off.

Thinking that there might be a conflict with another app triggered by ^+^ I changed the trigger to fn+fn. The strange little box did not appear, but neither was I able to get my speech (which is getting saltier and saltier) onto the screen.

It sounds like trigger was kicking off something else.

You can also, in Ulysses, Start Dictation from the Edit Menu (when you’re in editing mode in a document). Might be worth trying that?

It’s also possible the dictation language files haven’t been downloaded (in the background) yet.

If that’s the case, I would imagine it would sort itself out

There’s an app that shows you if you have a shortcut conflict on your Mac. I can’t remember what it’s called but I’m sure someone will be along shortly to let us know!

That would at least clarify if the trigger is the problem or if there’s an issue with the actual diction functionality.

BTW, assuming this is a Sonoma issue, did you know 14.1 is out? If it is a bug with Sonoma, it might be fixed in the update.

ShortcutDetective Irradiated Software - Labs - Beta Tested • Gamma Blasted

Hmmm: Software Update tells me 14.0 is the latest available.