VPN Basic Question

The only benefit to a VPN is that you can bypass firewalls.

That’s not the only advantage.

1. If you connect to a web site (even via HTTPS) anyone on your local network or your ISP will be able to see which one. VPNs encapsulate the traffic between your device and the VPN server so it can’t be seen.

2. VPNs protect domain name service (DNS) requests. These are usually plain text and the responses can be hijacked to send users to malicious web sites.

3. When I travel, my home VPN server allows me to connect to devices on my home network without having to expose them to the internet.

4. VPNs allow me to change where I appear to be physically located.

4a. VPNs allow me to hide my IP address so I can’t be tracked.

4b. VPNs allow users to bypass internet censorship. (I think this is what you were referring to when you mentioned bypassing firewalls.)

Even worse is that some VPNs have been caught not encrypting or even doing what you pay them to do.

Absolutely true.

It goes back to the adage: If you’re not paying for a product, you are the product.

VPNs are expensive to operate so how can they stay in business if they don’t charge users? Probably by monitoring your activity and selling it. And if they are selling your data, are they really worried about protecting your traffic?

This may be outside the scope of many users, but another key reason for using VPN is to access resources that are only available from particular IP addresses. This is typical of academic users who need to log in to their home institution’s VPN to access article databases etc.

3 Likes
  1. Yes, anyone can see what site you go to but not the contents of that site since it will be encrypted. It’s like an envelope that has your address and the address it’s going to but the web content is inside the envelope and the content is gibberish.

2. This is an interesting one. This person says it better than I can…

DNS spoofing will generally not work on HTTPS websites unless the client chooses to ignore the warning signs or if you manage to obtain the private key for the site.

I could be wrong on #2 if you mean VPNs keep your ISP from knowing what sites you go to but I feel like that was answered in #1. If this is your point you’re making then my second part of #4 answers it better.

3.A great example to use a VPN, this was the original use for them. Many businesses would create VPNs so workers could get on there private network from anywhere.

4.Pretty much all of this was my reasoning for saying it bypasses firewalls. VPNs are great if you live in the UK and want to watch the US Netflix.

Part2 of #4 - The part of not getting tracked is a tricky one because some VPNs say they don’t track users and they still do (even the ones you pay for). And if a government agency comes in demanding they release all records they’ll do it. The horrible part is that there is no way to prove that your VPN doesn’t log your IP address or activities even if they say they don’t on their website or if you pay for the service. It boils down to whether you trust your ISP or VPN more, and in some situations, a VPN is more trustworthy.

Does this actually work for you? My university is based in the USA and when I’ve tried this Netflix (or maybe it was HBO Go or Amazon Prime - it’s been a while) said it detected I was using a VPN & wouldn’t let me use it.

1. Yes, anyone can see what site you go to but not the contents of that site…

Right, but would you want your boss to know you visited “howtotreatcancer-dot-com” or your spouse to know you are visiting “wickeddivorcelawyers-dot-com”. I wouldn’t! :slight_smile:

DNS spoofing will generally not work on HTTPS websites unless the client chooses to ignore the warning signs or if you manage to obtain the private key for the site.

Agreed. But not all content is loaded via HTTPS.

Part2 of #4 - The part of not getting tracked is a tricky one because some VPNs say they don’t track users and they still do (even the ones you pay for). And if a government agency comes in demanding they release all records they’ll do it. The horrible part is that there is no way to prove that your VPN doesn’t log your IP address or activities even if they say they don’t on their website or if you pay for the service. It boils down to whether you trust your ISP or VPN more, and in some situations, a VPN is more trustworthy.

Agreed 100%.

I’ve read that Netflix blocks IP addresses of popular VPN services. I’ve also read that some VPNs offer the ability (usually for a small additional fee) to get a private IP address for VPN services, and that has worked for some people.

1 Like

@ecophoscys This is a subject that I’ve long been interested in but never done anything about it. I can’t claim to know more than the basics I.e. - ”best to use a VPN in a public space”.

You seem to have a good grasp of this. I still need to understand more of this and haven’t pulled the trigger on anything at as a result. I just default to my mobile Hotspot. What’s wrong with that?

I have no concept of which providers or which apps are useful for this, but I’d certainly welcome some advice about

A) the point/benefit of using a VPN
B) whether it’s a one-off or ongoing cost
C) who to use or what app to get to solve the problem

If you could help me understand any of that when you have a min I would be ever so grateful.

Thanks in advance