Waiting for my M1 Mac

:frowning:

1 Like

If the UPS “scheduled to arrive” is to be believed, I will get it earlier than predicted by Apple when ordering.

1 Like

Mine seems to have finally left China and arrived in Anchorage, Alaska and will be here on Monday (Dec 8th) instead of Dec 2.

3 Likes

I just checked the shipping time for my preferred configuration (13" MacBook Pro 16GB RAM, 2TB SD) and was surprised to see the shipping estimate is now out to January 27, so a week late doesn’t seem that bad now.

1 Like

YESSSSSSSSSS!!! A PACKAGE ON MY DESK!!! :smiley: :crazy_face: :heart_eyes: :star_struck: :partying_face:

Oh no, it’s just the trade-in kit… :sleepy: :face_vomiting: :rage: :sob:

3 Likes

Good news…bad news.

Good news. Was going to order the Macbook Pro, but after listening to various podcasts (including MPU), decided to go with Air.

Bad news. They can’t deliver until mid-January, when I expect to be in Mexico for the winter. Another winter with my 2012 Macbook Pro, which is still chugging along, except for one of the speakers. I actually bought it at a pawnshop (one that is on TV!) and upgraded RAM and hard drive (impossible to do on new laptops, of course). Who knows what will be available in May when I return.

A little sad that I bought my wife a tricked out Mac Mini a few months ago. However, she doesn’t know or care about the M1 machines, so I’m not telling her.

Have never bought a new laptop. I assume most of you “experts” recommend that I buy Applecare (as I have for iPhones and iPads)

1 Like

I do recommend it, for the simple fact that after a year, any repair that’s necessary will be much larger than AppleCare’s expense. With everything connected to the logic board, any repair will come down to “If something’s broken, we probably have to replace the entire logic board”.

2 Likes

I phoned the Apple help line and a nice man explained to me that DHL generally don’t update their track and trace info much, and he predicted that the Mac Mini would turn up on Monday as scheduled. A couple of hours later the track & trace page recorded that it had been processed in Sydney, so it should travel to Melbourne overnight, fingers crossed.

1 Like

I had this experience when ordering some LEGO stuff a couple years ago. I think I got DHL tracking updates when the shipping label was created, when the package landed in the US, and then eventually it showed up at my door.

1 Like

The M1 Air is the second laptop (Mac or PC) I’ve bought an extended warranty for (out of 4 PC laptops I’ve bought for my wife and 2 Macs for me). The first one was 16 years ago on a PC laptop because I didn’t trust that the plastic case/hinge would last (and I turned out to be right). With the M1 Air having everything so tightly integrated and it being a lot of very new hardware, I got it for this one just in case something goes south. Had I bought an Intel Pro, I probably wouldn’t have done it.

1 Like

Meanwhile, my UPS tracking information hasn’t updated since Dec 1st when it was listed as having left Anchorage, AK.

It’s now Dec 5th.

Still says it’s going to be here Monday but I find myself growing skeptical.

A watched order status page never updates.

2 Likes

Wise man you are, well played.

I need to go home. Just got my MBP delivered to the office. :slight_smile:

When ordering (~2 weeks ago), Apple said Dec 18th. UPS delivered it 10min ago.

So, now I just need to find an excuse to move to “home office”. But I had it delivered to the office on purpose since there’s a 99.99% chance the UPS dude finds our company building and manages to identify the reception. Don’t like the odds when using my home address… :smiley:

3 Likes

Tracking showed the Mini checked into the Melbourne sort facility at 7 this morning, so I was sort of expecting delivery today. However late in the day I got a text from Apple saying that there would be a delivery delay. Hopefully that just means delivery tomorrow…

1 Like

Just ordered an M1 Pro (16gb, 1tb). Replacing a 2015 MBP with an aging battery that I don’t have the time to replace, since it’s used as a work machine for both my wife and myself.

Hoping that Apple is under promising and over delivering and shipping estimates.

1 Like

Seems to be quite variable. Some people upthread are getting them sooner than initially projected. My order said “ships in 2-3 weeks” when I placed it and I’m still in “Processing” (not even “preparing to ship”) as of Day 15. Technically it’ll be on time if it ships by the end of the week.

1 Like

I’m in precisely the same boat :sweat:

1 Like

Mine is supposed to be here today but there’s been no activity since 4:37 A.M. when it left Louisville, KY, United States.

1 Like

On board with courier at 8 this morning…

1 Like