Warning warranted with wearing watches when resting: Wartenburg worries

Continuing the discussion from Watch 7 anyone?:

I couldn’t think of a “w” word for “sleep.”

Just in case anyone else ever runs into this! I liked wearing my Apple Watch to bed for its alarm abilities, but a few months ago I woke up with Wartenburg’s syndrome:

Basically, I couldn’t feel the back of my hand between the tendon of my ring finger and the thumb-side palm. After a few days, the severe numbness faded, but it still took a month or so before it felt normal again.

Surely I just had bad luck with whatever way my wrist was positioned that night. Still, I’ve given up wearing my watch to bed. Alas!

The worst part, though, was how confused I was that morning—so hopefully this helps one of you night-watchers if it ever happens to you!

5 Likes

winks (40) or weariness is the best I could find: https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/another-word-for/sleep.html

2 Likes

Interesting! (and alliterative)

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what watch band were you using? I wear a Solo Loop on my “night watch” becauase I find it very comfortable, but it’s stretchiness might help avoid this issue.

interesting. I wear the sports band on my “night watch” Series 3 and am thinking to switch to Solo Loop. No issues with Sports Band so far, but it still has a buckle.

It is an extremely frightening syndrome too. I had something similar from operating a power saw once. It took weeks to get the feeling back.

1 Like

I just use a sport band.

It’s an interesting theory, but I think this neuropathy is caused by compression on the “top” of the wrist. I.e., where the watch itself is typically worn. My bet is that a pillow or another limb laid on top of the watch all night, pressing into my wrist.

1 Like

Would that more likely not be Vibration White Finger? (No less scary)

2 Likes