Was ready to buy an iMac until…

I paid $500 for my first hard drive about 1984. 30MB, or about 1/266000 the capacity of your 8TB drive.

2 Likes

That “little cute M1 iMac” runs circles around your 27” iMac without breaking a sweat (read: using a fan)

2 Likes

photo of you playing Sea of Thieves, Star Wars Squadrons, Planet Zoo, or Far Cry 5 on your M1 iMac? :grinning:

1 Like

Don’t forget I have an M1 Air and I love it. But there is no way I would pick that little iMac over the 2020 with windows gaming power. I do not need to run omnifocus or fantastical faster. I need to run games on my iMac. :grinning:

The Intel iMac is not exactly a gaming powerhouse.

2 Likes

are you speaking from experience? what have you had issues with? As a Mac notebook owner until 2020, I have missed nearly every good game in the past 10 years so everything I have picked up has run flawlessly and most with graphics maxed out. It’s so fun to participate in the Steam Summer Sale now. picking up $130 game bundles for $13 makes me all warm and fuzzy.

1 Like

I also have a proper gaming pc (bought it about 3 months before the 2020 iMac was released) and it sits unused now. I am not speakling about any iMac prior to the 2020, but unless you own a 2020 iMac with a 5700 or 5700xt, you really won’t know how good it is for pc gaming.

I asked @ChrisUpchurch if he was speaking from experience as it’s easy to just repeat the pc gaming tropes that windows users have used against macs for years and they may have been true before the 2020 iMac. I wouldn’t know as I was a macbook pro only user until 2020. I consider the iMac 2020 the best of both worlds which the 2021 iMac is not.

I’ve got a 2017 iMac with the highest graphics card offering. It works ok for low-powered games but I have not been impressed with it when it comes to more demanding titles. Accordingly, virtually all my (non-mobile) gaming gets done on a console these days.

1 Like

I like consoles for sports games, fighters, arcade or family mario racing for sure.

I’m in the same boat, and I had a new iMac in my cart a few weeks ago with my finger hovering over the ‘buy’ button. My wife asked me what the delay was and I told her that there will, in all probability, be a new iMac in the fall with a screen that’s at least as large as the 2014 5K one I have now and possibly more power. i told her that I didn’t need more power, and that this particular iMac would do literally everything I do on mine now better, but I was going to miss the screen real estate a little. She told me that I had better hold off because if Apple does release one and I’d already bought this one, I’d always have a little regret I didn’t wait for it. She’s right. My 2014 iMac will absolutely be fine until the fall, so I opted to wait and see. The current iMac will stave off my FOMO for a couple months. It’s not long to wait. Then I can make the choice with all information in hand.

1 Like

I’m really curious about this. Did you mean to write 3”? 2” + 1.5” should be a 2.5” difference in the diagonal, and since the 24” iMac is 23.5, that would make the 27” iMac 26”. I don’t own a 5k display myself to check.

Going by pixels, the 5k 27” has 30% more than the 4.5k 24” (5120 * 2880)/(4480 * 2520), so the perceived size depends on the ppi.

photo of me playing games on my iPad every once in a while, never on my iMac (not a gamer)
Any games I do play are either iPad or Switch based

ok. when you said it would run circles around my iMac 2020 your were talking about omnifocus and fantastical? :grinning:

video / sound editing, programming (compiling code) etc.
I work on my mac, rarely play on it.

I do all of that and doubt that I need to do it 1 minute faster by giving up my PC games.

To each his own I guess.
I prefer the speed when I work, and the features on new updates (which will not all come to Intel macs)

1 Like

You and your stupid maturity about delayed gratification … :joy: :joy: :joy:

September is just 8 weeks away … I suppose I could (should) wait too. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I wasn’t talking about the diagonal since the two displays have slightly different aspect ratios. Can’t give exact measurements right now as I’m traveling. I just measured the visible screen heights and widths. I find a wider screen easier to use instead of a taller screen. That’s one of the reasons I like the 24”.

LOL. Damned adulting… it’s just no fun no matter how you cut it. :rofl:

4 Likes

This is what I’ve decided to do.

1 Like