Watch 7 anyone?

I tried the EKG for the first time yesterday. It was really pretty cool.

1 Like

I have s5 and a s3. I use the 3 for sleep tracking. I’m planning on getting the s7 for the oxygen levels and maybe use one watch for everything.

1 Like

It’s interesting how Myke and Marco, two of the notable traditional watch enthusiasts in the Apple community, have such opposite reactions to the Series 7. On ATP Marco is overjoyed that Apple didn’t radically change the industrial design, while on Upgrade Myke is crestfallen.

1 Like

Based on his prior comments, I expected this. I for one did not like the square, boxy mockups I saw. I prefer the current design for a watch.

1 Like

Perhaps the S-curve of Watch technology is nearly vertical and has topped out. I like my Watch 6 — and would be very satisfied with it for years to come.

As Gruber points out, there’s no way that’s the case:

2 Likes

I think there’s a ton to be done with the watch: better battery life, new sensors, smaller size, fewer restrictions on what developers can do writing apps for the platform, the list goes on and on. In many way the watch is still a very immature platform. The problem is we’re at a point where all of those things are really hard. Apple has already harvested the low-hanging fruit, they’re tackling much more difficult problems from here on out.

Well, that article reminds me of the proverb: “The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.” (Proverbs 18:17) The Daring Fireball rebuttal makes a lot sense!

2 Likes

Even if they decided to just take a series 6 and change the label on the box and engraving on the back of the watch to “7”, that would still take months with their lead times!

1 Like

And thus the curve might have topped – the tech curve doesn’t flatten by intent, but by friction. No one of us really knows.

Yeah, Cult of Mac tried to ‘save face’ about the completely and totally and utterly wrong Apple Watch predictions for this year.

September 2: We may not be waiting long for delayed Apple Watch Series 7 - WRONG

September 3: Apple Watch 7 may not be compatible with bands you already own - WRONG

September 10: Apple Watch 7 will ship this month with ‘dramatic change in design’ - WRONG

All 3 articles were written by the same person who wrote “Well, obviously Apple changed the Apple Watch at the last minute.”

Riiiiiight. By which I mean WRONG!

So, Apple was having problems getting a new Apple Watch produced, so they decided to stay with the old design, which is why they were…unable to say when the Apple Watch will be available to order. (Other than “Fall” which gives them until mid-December.)

Or, here’s another theory… they posted rumors for the ad traffic, and now they have to scramble to explain why they were the Wrongest Wronger in Wrong Town.

1 Like

Had the series 0, series 3 and currently with a series 5. Not enough there for me to upgrade this time. I’m planning on waiting to see what happens with the 8 and in fact try a Whoop 4.0 for 12 months. Was hoping to see more improvements on health tracking.

they said they fixed the updating process, so I guess it’s fine. Still really happy with my S3 apart from the updating madness.

1 Like

That was similar to what @drdrang wrote about his experience with the S3:

1 Like

I’m still using the Series 1. Earlier this week I said I would not upgrade, because that old watch is still doing what I need it to do. But now I’m tempted.

Siri does not work on the S1, and sometimes starting an app—for example, Due—can be awfully slow.

2 Likes

You should be tempted! (Sorry.)

Siri is the main reason I love the watch, though. Raise to wrist → “Start a timer for X minutes.” I must do that a dozen times a day.

3 Likes

I just start the timer with the sausages at the end of my wrist. Works well enough. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been happy with my S2 but ‘wake on wrist raise’ stopped working some months ago and lately tapping the screen doesn’t always work on first try. In fact it actually seems to be happening more often since the keynote :thinking:

I already have a hospital grade pulse oximeter and a quality BP monitor so an S6 or S7 is more than I need. But just when I thought I wasn’t going to buy anything this month the SE has started calling my name.

2 Likes

The always on display is awfully nice though.

1 Like