Watch Series 6 -- Which One Will you Get?

This is a bit off-topic, but talk to me about the always on screen. I have a series 4 and am considering the upgrade to the series 6 for a variety of reasons, including the always-on screen. Is the screen active when it’s not in use (i.e., when it’s just hanging down on your side or when you haven’t actively raised it to do something with it)? My primary concern with the always on screen is that it will pick up random touches that send it into complication apps regularly.

Also, how is the battery life with it? I’m assuming it takes somewhat of a hit, but how has it held up in real world usage?

The always-on screen isn’t interactive until you wake it (a tap, or the same twisting/arm-raising motion you do now with your 4.) So you aren’t any more or less vulnerable with the 5 to accidental touches and babies grabbing your wrist. :slight_smile:

The battery life seems the same to me. The always-on screen has a refresh rate of 1hz (one update per second) which is really low power. Apple claims the battery life is the same so I am guessing they optimized the active and background activity of the watch to make a typical day’s use draw the same power.

1 Like

I’m getting a space grey aluminum 44m with deep navy sport band.

Upgrading from series 1. Was in doubt, but what the heck… they should give me 25€ for the old one, so it’ a bargain… :joy:

1 Like

@cornchip has already answered your questions, I would just like to add something about battery life:

My first-hand experience is the same: the 5th generation watch is able to accomplish the same with the always-on screen in comparison to the 4th generation without the always-on screen. In my early days with the 5th gen, I turned the always-on display off for a day. I had about 5% more capacity left on the battery after that, but that probably was no real test. I have never ever turned off the always-on screen after that “test”. The display is no concern battery-wise. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think that you will regret it coming from the series 1. :slight_smile: It would be nice to read something from you after you were able to spend some days with the new shiny one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks all for the feedback on the screen

Look for a “Create your style” button that goes to a configuration page to select size, case, and band. Once the configuration is saved you can continue selecting band size (for the new bands), cellular (unless the case is a cellular-only option), AppleCare+, etc.

I tried that couldn’t get all band options for all finishes available for a case material. This is evident by playing around with the filters too as they gray out the unavailable options.

For example, the aluminum watch is available in space gray, silver, gold, blue, and red but, of these, the Braided Solo Loop is only available on the silver and the blue finishes.

Yeah, I think so too :smiley:

Right now I fancy more the bigger form factor (44 from 42) and the bigger screen (IIRC even not factoring in the physical dimensions the screen is bigger) than the other bells and whistles… we’ll se, shipping date between 30/9 and 2/10.

will try to report back after some time with it :smile:

1 Like

I can’t decide yet. Thankfully, my current watch is still working fine so I’m not in a rush to upgrade.

My current watch is a stainless Series 4 in Space Black. Given my work environment, I like the extra durability of the stainless case, DLC coating, and sapphire crystal. My current watch looks as good as new after nearly 2 years inside server racks.

The “I like what I have” upgrade would be the same in a Series 6 but that color is (I think as of Series 5) only available on the titanium case. I haven’t seen the graphite stainless case in person to see how well I’d like it. The matte finish and lighter weight on the titanium watch are compelling but the extra cost of both watch and AppleCare are cause for pause.

The “I’ll probably upgrade again in 2 years” option would be to treat the watch as a basic device and just get the non-cellular aluminum version. Even if I damage it or decide I need cellular, I could buy a replacement and still be ahead over the cost of one stainless or titanium case watch.

1 Like

I wonder if this might be a country-specific limitation.

I’m in the US. I ran through the configuration tool quickly as a test and was able to select a 44mm aluminum space gray with Inverness braided Solo loop band.

I like the blue finish but honestly, other than the new toy factor, I’m not sure why I need to update from my 3.
The siren song of new toy is compelling but I’m also thinking airpod prod (even though my series 2 are certainly adequate). Damn. I hate Apple.

1 Like

One of the many features I’m looking forward to jumping from the s3 to the s6. The meetings thing is crucial. You’re right it does look rude to either tap to wake the watch or have to flick your wrist.

Yeah it might be sold out rather than being generally unavailable?

Apple Watch series 6 space gray aluminum with the green woven loop cellular model

None of them.

To start with, I think they’re ugly. But that’s a matter of taste of course. More important, I don’t need nor want an Apple watch. I still prefer an “old-fashioned” watch. Wearing mine (a Seiko, in case someone is interested) for way over 20 years. And it’s still accurately showing the time and date. Only need to spend $/€10 on a battery every year. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bought the SS 5 last year when the Al series 2 died in the pool. Not enough new features to layout that kind of cash again so soon. Not sure whether the new O2 feature would be available to us anyway, there is still no sign of the ECG feature being released in Australia :frowning_face:

I have the SpO2 on my Garmin Fenix 6 and while I do look at it occasionally, especially after sleep, I’m not sure the real value tbh. If you have a condition where that is an important reading, sure. Maybe I should do more research on it. Could be missing something.

That said, have ordered the S6 Space Grey with Navy Blue Sport Loop - coming form an S3. I’m sure I’ll get the single loop band when they are in stock. Navy goes with most of my office clothes.

1 Like

Is anyone switching from a S5 to a S6?

1 Like

Since I have retired I have slowed down a bit…and thought do I actually need this. Is it adding any value to my life. The answer is no…so not for me…I have actually stopped wearing any watch…

1 Like