Webcam for 2022

To clarify @stevek, does the streamcam not work at all or it works but with limited features ?

Does it work as a camera without installing the Logitech software ? Kinda like plug and play??

It works as a webcam but none of the settings (e.g. field of view, aspect ratio, and recording resolution) can be modified using the Logitech Capture software.

It would be great if these features could be used - but without them, I might as well have bought a $40 webcam.

1 Like

I use a Sony RX100 + Elgato Ring Light > Elgato Cam Link 4K > OBS > Zoom setup, works fairly well.

3 Likes

Is Detail free to use? I do not see any pricing mentioned on their website and in that case, I am curious what their business model is?

I use a Sony a7iv. Is that helpful? 4k. Creamy bokeh. Just a great low-light monster.

I have one of these lying around. Must have a play with it today!

Have fun! That’s what motivated me - I could have a much better webcam (with shallow depth of field) by using the RX100 rather than keeping it in the dry box.

1 Like

The StreamCam works OK for those basic tasks you mentioned. Their LogiCapture software used to work when the M1s first came out and then they seem to break it. On this Logitech page, I chose “Show All Downloads”, selected “Mac OS 10.15 and tried all of the recent version. The one that worked was 2.0.200. Logitech Capture – Logitech Support + Download .

It worked a couple of months ago, but I haven’t needed it on the M1 Mac Mini since I tested it again a couple of months ago. I know there was at least one MacOS update since then. Just through I would share just in case you still have the StreamCam. Best wishes.

Count me in as an Elgato Facecam convert. It works GREAT, great quality for the price and the app works pretty well (could be better…at times the camera starts without access to the config tools in the software and requires a full reboot of the computer.

1 Like