Weird behavior - Items moved to trash without me requesting it!

Hi MPU Friends,
I have the impression that an Alien is moving some of my files/folders to the Trash. I’m running MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 and I’m looking for a way to stop such behavior or identify/monitor which software, tool, cronjob is doing it. A full DiskScan was run to avoid any suspicion about Viruses/Malware.
Can I check any logs to find origin of deleted items and who triggered the move to Trash?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Which files and folders?
If you right-click on them in the Trash, can you use Put Back?
Where do they go when you put them back?

Are you running Hazel, Keyboard Maestro, Scripts, Watched Folders?

Or are you using an app like AppDelete - which might also move some folders and files associated with apps?

I’m not using any of those APPs

Some files/folders show the “Put Back”, some others only shows “Delete Immedialtely…” what I found is all of those files are stored in this folder:

/System/Volumes/Data/Users/the_carthaginian/Google Drive

So the app called “Backup and sync from Google” is responsible of this strange behavior, some people are talking about it here
The folder belongs to another user, so it appears to be a shared folder in my Google Drive and was not owned by me.

1 Like

No AppDelete used on my MacBook.

Please give some detail.

So, that means the case is closed?

Well I’m curious to know if every GoogleDrive App on Mac is facing those issues and how to prevent that.

As stated here Weird behavior - Items moved to trash without me requesting it! they were some shared files/folders in my GoogleDrive

If you are viewing a shared folder, and the owner (not you) of that shared folder removes documents from the folder, there’s not going to be much you or any app can do about it. When they’re gone, they’re gone.

Best course is to copy the shared files to your own machine, etc. – if the owner of the file permits copy / download.

1 Like