What a Subscription-Free WorkFlow Looks Like

That’s very interesting. I didn’t realize that CloudKit could sync the plaintext contents of system folders, and thought it only worked with apps like Bear and Drafts that store user files their own dedicated databases.

Do you know of any other apps besides NotePlan that can use CloudKit that way?

1 Like

Btw NotePlan just added support for handwriting and Apple Pencil!

@Bmosbacker I also like OO, but there has been no new version in 7 years, which makes me a little nervous about its future.

I’ve tended to focus less on subscriptions than on my overall cost of tech and software. In looking to reduce this cost the only real option is to move away from Apple. Just moving off iOS has made significant savings.

@svsmailus Normally I’d also be concerned about OO but I don’t think the Omnigroup is going anywhere. I’m reasonably confident that OO will be around and functioning for a long while. I also think OO is essentially feature complete. That said, do you recommend an alternative outliner that you are confident will continue to be developed and supported?

When you say you moved off iOS do you mean that you don’t use an iPhone, don’t use an iPad, or use neither and only use a Mac?

I’ve been using Workflowy for a while. It’s not as rich as OO, but a pretty good multi-OS service.

I moved to a google pixel 8 pro 7 months ago and would not now willingly return to an iPhone. I never found the iPad sufficient for work. My macbook pro covers all those needs. I no longer use iCloud nor any iOS subscriptions. My Google One sub costs me a year what Apple cost me a month.

Apart from a couple of macOS apps, I’m not far off leaving the Apple platform completely. I have a few years yet until my M1 needs replacing at which point I’ll need to make a decision.

As far as OO goes, I will most likely drop the app. Omnigroup’s universal pricing model means I’ll be paying more as the universal model includes all Apple platforms. This is not cost effective when only using macOS.

3 Likes

What do you prefer about Android the Pixel and what if anything do you miss about iOS and the iPhone? It’s been quite a while since I used an Android phone.

I’ve had no friction in moving to the Pixel and there’s nothing I miss from iOS. Preference is that Android is a cheaper platform and more feature rich. AI on the phone brings some really useful features to the phone. Google Workspace integration is seamless. The phone can be set up with multiple users. My favourite AI feature is call screening. Really helpful and easy to use. Oh, and I really love the fingerprint scanner. I hated FaceID.

3 Likes

That is not even slightly true.

One month prices:
In the US:
Apple:
50GB: $0.99
200GB: $2.99
2TB: $9.99

Google One:
100GB: $1.99
2TB: $9.99

UK seems to have similar price structures.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I’m on about the total amount of subs I had on the Apple platform that I now have on Android.

3 Likes

I was impressed by the call screening demonstration at I/O, and I share your hatred of FaceID. Google Workspace is the only reason I can use an iPad Pro as my main computer so a different phone wouldn’t change anything. I might consider switching to Android if Apple is as far behind on AI as the rumors would suggest.

Apple Bets That Its Giant User Base Will Help It Win in AI

I use Android daily in the form of a Pixel Tablet. Agreed that it’s cheaper, and you are less likely to find subs there, but I also find the app quality is lower than on iOS (especially on the tablet side of things). Even with large corporation’s apps, a lot seem to put more effort into the iOS app than they do in their Android apps. iOS just seems like a smoother, more polished experience to me.

Google treat’s the Pixel tablet like someone else made it. The cool new Pixel only features means Pixel phones only. I have found that to be very disappointing. Outside of that, I think it matters how much you like Google products. I don’t like the way Google does things in many cases, so I am not a huge fan of some of it.

One thing I do find funny in the Android vs iOS debate is that Android users like to point out they can move app icons anywhere on the screen. For me, that has meant my screens are just a mess of icons with random blanks spaces that I am too lazy to sort into some sort of coherent structure. I have not found that anywhere near as useful as I thought it would be.

Android users also say they have more options to configure the devices they want them to work. I haven’t found that to be true. In some cases sure, but I have found myself look through settings to change something, and there just aren’t that many options there.

I can only compare iPhone to Pixel. Settings on the Pixel are more in abundance.

Although there are lots of low grade apps, there are also lots of top quality apps.

I’m by no means saying that one is better than the other. Personally, I have found since the exit of Steve Jobs, Apple are not offering anything more than anyone else, especially for a premium price tag. Where ten years ago I happily paid the premium, I’m no longer happy to do so. For my use, the Pixel is offering more with its AI integration.

1 Like

Oh I don’t think one is better than the other either, except in the tablet realm. Google doesn’t seem very committed and it shows. I always thought I would never switch to Android, but after getting the Pixel Tablet I don’t feel as strongly about that anymore. Android has some great qualities, I just prefer iOS at this point in time.

I changed my iOS workflow for some things to use apps that support both platforms, and there are great apps, but those apps also have subscriptions. :expressionless:

1 Like

Thanks!

I haven’t used an Android phone for some time, but I do miss the more open nature of the OS (I applaud the EU’s moves to open the platform and hope the US follows suit) and the customizability, including custom launchers. It’s dumb that you can only have 4 columns of apps on the Home Screen of a Pro Max iPhone, same as a Mini.

I switched to the iPhone because it plays better with my Mac, but I’ve also found that the app quality tends to be better, the phones last longer (all my Android devices eventually stopped working), and they get updates longer and more reliably and promptly, though iirc the Pixels and top Samsungs are better on that now.

Equivalent Android phones tend to be cheaper, but iPhones tend to hold their resale value better.

If I got an Android phone now I’d probably want a Pixel, but I don’t trust Google to respect my privacy, so I’d probably install an alternate ROM on it.

I’m the opposite: I love FaceID and hate fingerprint scanners, which have never worked reliably for me.

I hate Apple Notes but my family uses it for shared lists and notes, and they’re not going to switch away from Messages.

I’ve found the opposite. The Pixel allows you to change privacy on just about everything, even their own stuff. Far more privacy controls that I found available on my iPhone.

Interesting. I hope it all works as it appears. Google just settled a class action lawsuit because they were spying on Chrome users and recording their browsing histories even in incognito mode.

Speaking of which:

The irony of @Bmosbacker posting a paywalled article in his thread about his subscription free workflow. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No, no. I’m willing to admit when I’m wrong, but I don’t wish to be falsely accused. :grinning:
I’ve said somewhere more than once that I do subscribe to Apple One. I do so because that is the cheapest option given my storage and other needs. And I’ve also admitted that there were some subscriptions which are unavoidable. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes