What apps do you launch immediately when you boot up your Mac?

I try to keep them to a minimum:

• Omnifocus
  • Ulysses
  • Safari
  • Mail
  • DevonThink
  • Alfred
  • Notes
  • Calendar

And, most load in “hide” mode.

At login

• ChronoSync Scheduler
  • Typinator
  • Dropbox
  • ChronoAgent Monitor
  • Hazel
  • PhotoSync
  • CCC User Agent

Manually launched from Dock icons

• Safari
  • Calendar
  • Mail
  • Omnifocus
  • DEVONThink

Most of the time I am also launching

• Pycharm
  • Firefox with the LambTracker Database in the SQLite tool
  • Scrivener with my LambTracker Kanban system
1 Like

Can you elaborate on this? I’ve never heard of this feature.

Houdah Spot
Keyboard Maestro
Alfred
Bartender
Open automatically
Backblaze runs all the time as does CleanMyMac they seem to set themselves to do that and it suits me ok.
I usually turn on DEVONthink 3 pretty soon, I vacillate between having it open at log in and not.

1 Like

Sorry for any confusion. I was referring to “Hide” when I wrote hidden.

2 Likes

Login Items:

• Three network mounted folders
  • Mail
  • Alfred
  • HazelHelper
  • Resilio Sync
  • TextExpander
  • Dropbox
  • BetterSnapTool
  • ChronoSync Scheduler
  • Flux
  • iStat Menus
  • ScanSnap
  • Calendar
  • Omnifocus
  • Bartender

I hadn’t realized I had so many until I counted them up. But I don’t boot up that often and just let it sleep when not in use.

3 Likes
  1. 1Password
  2. Mail
  3. Messages
  4. Ringcentral
  5. Safari
  6. Logmein support desk

I seriously can’t thank you enough for this. I have dropped Google and FaceCrook as much as I can, and for me this is the icing on the cake. It works so well and avoids the clutter and especially the tracking. Cheers!

1 Like

I am wondering about using that strategy actually.

I restart my Mac every three weeks, just to clear out file and RAM cruft. Any apps that relaunch are apps that were already running, and usually include two web browsers (Brave, Safari), HoudahSpot, some writing apps (Ulysses, Drafts, OmniOutliner, Day One, 1Password, and maybe BBedit), and Messages. Other running apps are dependent on what I’d been doing before so might include CalendarPro, Numbers, Soulver, iTunes, Ableton Live, MindNode/iThoughtsX, EagleFiler, Books/Kindle/Murasaki/Bookreader, Tweetbot, Anki, Preview/Skim/PDFExpert, Reason 11, Lightroom/Photoshop, Due, MailPlane/Kiwi, Todoist, AppleNews+, etc.

The menubar or background apps I auto-launch are Magnet, Cookie, CleanMyMacX Menu, Bartender, BetterTouchTool, Mountain, Theine, DefaultFolderX, AudioHijackScheduleHelper, SoundSource, Calendar366II, Alfred, PopClip, KeyboardMaestro, OversightHelper, Dropbox, MindfulMynah, AdobeCreativeCloud, AppDelete, PopChar, CarbonCopyClonerMenu, BackBlaze, CardHop, Copy’EmPaste, Growl, BlockBlock, Better, MagicBattery, MalwareBytesAgent, LittleSnitch, Yoink, StretchLink, ShortMenu, CloudApp

1 Like

I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one. I have read countless reports of where people go for long extended periods without a reboot. I have an OmniFocus repeating task to do a hard reboot every Monday morning. I’m sure it is not completely necessary but it does keep things running smoothly. I also run Clean My Mac every six months.

1 Like

In Mojave, after three weeks of hard daily use, strange things can happen to my system. Most commonly I notice downloads stop appearing in my Downloads folder(!), although they can be seen in an alternate Finder app like Forklift, and choosing “reveal in Finder” in Forklift does reveal them in Finder.

A restart fixes it.

That’s weird!

29 characters

Next to nothing. Only things that need to run in the background like CCC , iStat Menus, and 1Password. Everything else I launch as needed.

I even have my home page in web browsers set to about:blank as I want to choose what to load when I start.

1 Like

Can you tell me how you use Things Helper?

I just downloaded it, as I’m new to Things 3 and am always excited to have every bell & whistle~ but now can find nothing about Quick Entry with Autofill listed anywhere on the Cultured Code website to explain how it works… Also, I don’t see any indication that Things Helper is actually open. Does it show up as open? or is it just in the background somewhere? – Since it was very first on your list of what you open, I thought I’d ask your input. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

For me at startup:

Drafts
Adobe CCC
Backblaze
Dropbox
Fantastical
Cardhop
Mate Translate
CleanMyMac X Menu
Webcam Settings
Keyboard Maestro