What are you reading? Winter 2021-22 Edition

If I hadn’t already finished all the Clancy, and all the Dan Brown’s and most of the Lee Childs I’d have probably had one on my list.

And now I haave to go check out Doc Ford too.

I have to confess that cozy mysteries are my secret binge. Just that I’m between series/authors now so none on the curently reading list. I love the formula and predicatibility. They are mind candy for me.

1 Like

For those looking for some fun reading I recommend Rick Campbell’s Trident Deception series. Currently 6 books in the series. I would call it a Tom Clancy type book.

1 Like

Received today.

A leading philosopher takes a mind-bending journey through virtual worlds, illuminating the nature of reality and our place within it.

Virtual reality is genuine reality; that’s the central thesis of Reality+. In a highly original work of “technophilosophy,” David J. Chalmers gives a compelling analysis of our technological future. He argues that virtual worlds are not second-class worlds, and that we can live a meaningful life in virtual reality. We may even be in a virtual world already.

Along the way, Chalmers conducts a grand tour of big ideas in philosophy and science. He uses virtual reality technology to offer a new perspective on long-established philosophical questions. How do we know that there’s an external world? Is there a god? What is the nature of reality? What’s the relation between mind and body? How can we lead a good life? All of these questions are illuminated or transformed by Chalmers’ mind-bending analysis.

Studded with illustrations that bring philosophical issues to life, Reality+ is a major statement that will shape discussion of philosophy, science, and technology for years to come.

I usually read multiple books at the same time, kinda like watching multiple tv series every week. I like mixing it with fiction and non-fiction. I also started reading books from Filipino-American Authors.

Insurrecto by Gina Apostol
Bourdain by Laurie Woolever
This is your Mind on Plants by Michael Pollen
You Will Get Through this Night by Daniel Howell

Currently re-reading:
I’m Thinking of Ending Things by Ian Reid

Just Finished:
Sensor by Junji Ito
The Son of Good Fortune by Lysley Tenorio

I used to read 90s-early 2000s Star Wars novel. Too bad they were removed from canon.

These days I frequently start a new book before finishing another. I may have 3 or 4 downloaded to my Kindle at any time. I was just starting to adjust to retirement when covid arrived and put all my plans on hold. So now I vary my routine as often as possible. And my reading.

2 Likes

I keep getting these ads from Amazon about books that they think I’d like and so I often do. I use my ipad as backup storage for my kindle books so it has almost all of them plus about 100 plus or minus samples at any given time. When I just want to put brain into neutral I read the samples, delete any that don;t immediately grab me, put ones that might be interesting on my kindle borrow list if available on Kindle Unlimited or on the kindle wish list if not. Once a quarter or so I clean those lists out.

I am still in awe that I can carry arround several thousand books in my hand and be transported to worlds beyond imagining so easily. I got the 1TB iPad thinking I’d really use all of it but my books are so far less than 23 GB! Of course I haven’t loaded backonto it the hundreds I had already read before I got it so that may change once it’s fully loaded.

1 Like

I grew up going to the library every Saturday morning to explore the stacks and load up on books for the week. Now, I never go to a library — which is sad — but I have a little device in my pocket that has more books on it than I could ever imagine reading as a child. The Pre-AOL or even Pre-Kindle world seems like a imaginary parallel universe, now.

4 Likes

Me too. The downside is we can’t impress people with a background of bookshelves when we’re on Zoom. :wink:

1 Like

Virtual backgrounds, my friend, virtual backgrounds :joy:

5 Likes

I’m enjoying these books now. It will take a long time to finish the second one.

Conversations With Friends by Sally Rooney.

Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann (Kindle and Audible formats, John E. Woods translation)

1 Like

That probably would be more impressive than my fusebox, thermostat, and door to the central unit.

1 Like

Sure you can, Kindle books are less than half of my library…

1 Like

Wow, I never get time to read fiction much now. This month I read E.O. Wilson Half Earth. Also I re-read, pretty much as I have to do every year now since it was published, Chomsky’s Language and Mind and I still learn and have to rethink according to points in there. A book I am never, really, going to finish.
I read this month some of his more well known political books too, Who Rules The World this winter I think is still to come, it is there ready on my shelf.
I read huge numbers of journal articles and so on, too many really as a matter of routine of course. Oh and on the table in front of me, Paige Embry Our Native Bees

1 Like

I love History.

I am reading “Explaining Hitler” by Ron Rosenbaum. His book is a fascinating analysis of the different theories relevant to Hitler. Actually, I have read it before. And rereading it has not dimmed my interest in this fascinating book.

1 Like

I only have enough physical books to fill around 6 ft of shelf space. I’ve moved a lot and frequently chose to “lighten my load”. Only a few special books have made the cut each time.

1 Like

Same. For me it either needs to be something that isn’t available digitally, or it needs to benefit from the print format in some significant way.

Many of the ones I’ve kept hold memories. A family Bible from the early 1900’s that belonged to my Grandfather. A manuscript written by a friend I lost 28 years ago. Books that were given to me, etc.

3 Likes

I’ve replaced a lot of books with kindle versions but I still have about 1500 that are physical, they are pretty much all not available on kindle or special, my my grandpa’s entire set of Dickens published in the 1800s. I keep a few physical ones that I have duplicates of on kindle due to needing to more easily reference several at once, or several places in the same book back and forth something the kindle reader apps do not handle well at all.

3 Likes

Funny enough I am due to re-read Hannah Arendt’s book Eichmann in Jerusalem. I didn’t mention it due to literal mindedness about ‘reading now’; I am not actually reading it this week but next.

Again, like you, not for the first time in the last 40 plus years, sadly really as in light of current crackpot conspiracies it is not as historical as I would like it to be.

Just finished Project Hail Mary based on your recommendation. Great read that takes me back to classic SF with really good science in it. Normally I’m not a fan of mixing two different timelines in a story but it was handled very well.

3 Likes