What are you using for task management in 2022?

For me the biggest advantage is the deep system integration. I find that a significant gain in efficiency.

Some of the integrations are a mystery. For example, a friend was sending back some old license plates and sent me this text in iMessage “You should be getting the plates tomorrow. Let us know please when you get them.”

Reminders offered to create a reminder and it includes a link to this message. When I tap on the link it actually scrolls back in the conversation to this exact line. This is cool, but I have no idea how to add this type of link for other messages. Do you know?

Using Reminders with Messages is one of the integrations that I have yet to use. To be honest, I am not a big fan of texting as a general proposition so I have not had occasion to use that feature. I suspect like all things, there is a YouTube video on it. :blush: Sorry I am not of more help on this particular feature.

What are they adding in iOS 16, out of curiosity?

Thanks.

This is one of the websites I was complaining about in this post:

There is an auto play video above and below each paragraph, so there was no way for me to position the text without a distraction. It was difficult to scroll as things kept jumping around. Halfway through the article the page crashed and reloaded and I had to find where I had left off. And off course no Reader mode.

3 Likes
  • Templates
  • Completed smart list so you can actually see when a reminder was checked off
  • Morning, Afternoon, and Evening sections in the Today view
  • More smart list rules
  • and likely a lot more I’m missing…

The thing I’m most looking forward to is the ability to have all the tasks for today show in the badge of the app icon. Previously a badge would only be shown for overdue tasks. This is such a huge improvement. This and the completed list are making me actually use Reminders.

2 Likes

In addition to what what @pantulis posted, here is the information from Apple’s site.

3 Likes

Thanks. I should have clarified when I asked the question as my answer was only a google away LOL.

I’m curious what you, @Bmosbacker in particular is looking forward to. I know you use Reminders as your main app, so I am curious what features you (as someone who uses it every day) is looking forward to most?

Things 3 for daily tasks. MindNode for project materials, ideas. Day One for dumping thoughts.

2 Likes

Speaking of which, how are websites able to bypass 1Blocker? Should I have more than one blocking app installed? Currently, I have Safari set to block popups and 1Blocker installed but I still get this:

I like lifehacker so this is not about that particular site; my question is technical, why isn’t the popup blocked?

:slightly_smiling_face: I’ll make use of all of the new features but the one’s I’m most excited about are: enhanced filtering, pinning lists, and templates. The enhanced filtering is of particular interest as it will enable me to come close to replicating the perspectives feature in OF.

3 Likes

I switched to Reminders because it is nicely integrated with NotePlan. But after using it awhile, I have moved all my reminders back into the Due app.

Due is simpler and yet more flexible in setting up reminders. And Due is more persistent than Reminders.

I can’t always jump on a task when its reminder fires off. Due lets me easily push an alert into the future by a little or a lot. And Due never loses a task. Reminder alerts would fire once or twice and then seem to fade away.

And I like the linear ordered way that my tasks are displayed in the Due app.

1 Like

I’ve never had alerts fade away in Reminders. But, I severely limit alerts (for all apps). I do a weekly and daily review so alerts are not essential in most cases (my calendar being the exception).

We probably use task management apps differently. I use it for project management, not just a list of todos. I have a lot of projects with tasks and subtasks and make extensive use of tags.

Without a doubt! Just the fact that Reminders is adding desired features that remind you of OmniFocus puts us in different camps! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve been using Due for years now alongside Things. I put the tasks I have to do at a certain time and want to be nagged until I do it.

4 Likes

I also use both Reminders and Due app. I specifically use Due ONLY when I want to be deliberately annoyed over and over until I actually DO the thing.

For all others, I use Reminders

5 Likes

I commented earlier that I use Todoist, but I have a few thoughts to add that I’ve since thought of.

I know Reminders does “natural language processing” to some extent, but when I’m on the move and trying to enter something, it never works how I’d expect. I’ll say “Take kids to play date August 12th” and then I’d see “August 12th” was highlighted so I tap it and then it disappears……or it adds “August 12th” to the title of my task and I’m never quite sure what it did in the end. I know some of this is me just not being familiar with the app, but getting tasks in (in the instances where yelling HEY SIRI isn’t possible) still lags.

Finally, when I get Reminders populated with a number of things and multiple lists, I get lost and lose my place. It just seems to involve too much keyboard input, too much clicking, and I’m never sure that I’m on top of things.

In Todoist, I know how to enter things quickly, and I feel like it’s easier (for me, at least) to see in all those hiding places tasks like to go so they get missed.

If that makes any sense.

Apps have a “feel”. Todoist is second nature for me and it’s fast. It feels like we are one. Reminders is super powerful and I’d love to use it for more than just a few odd tasks, but there’s just too much friction at the moment.

That’s my thought anyway.

2 Likes

Todoist is about the only app that does this well IMO. All the other apps aren’t consistent throughout the experience.

I think the breakdown you’re having though in Reminders is that you have to select the parsed date in the quick action bar above the keyboard (iOS). If you select the text it doesn’t activate it, I think it deactivates it at that point.

2 Likes

Because technically it isn’t a pop-up (surprise!). From the browsers perspective the “pop-up blocking” checkbox deploys a -pretty trivial- mechanism that prevents web page to create new browser windows, which these days usually means a new tab.

To the user this can be confusing, because through some CSS overlaying trickery a website can display something that looks like a pop-up Window but is really not a browser window. To the browser is just “the website displaying stuff”.

But what about 1Blocker? These tools can block that stuff by analyzing the content of the page, but their built-in rules are usually targeting about industry standard 3rd party ads and other annoyances but the website operators constantly try to come up with techniques to this. In this case I see the pop-up is from Lifehacker itself, so I’d say this is legitimate but annoying, so someone could conceivably create a custom filtering rule for that specific “pop-up”.

1 Like