What are your most contrary MPU opinions?

I started a topic here on MPU early on. Other than that, no. It’s a thought, though.

I totally agree. So now there are at least two of us who prefer RTF. I had thought that I was the only one.

2 Likes

I am 100% with @rkaplan regarding the fear of long-term usability of Rich Text. There absolutely is no need to use something like Markdown if your only intention is to combine text with images and to view this content within a particular file like a RTF file. I would even add that Markdown is less productive for a use case like that - it only adds work on top.

It is not good to over-simplify things, but I consider Markdown as the LaTeX equivalent for the web. And it is a good starting point when stuff will end up on the web and elsewhere. Markdown is a very good choice for plain text documents and it is a must for me, when the web comes into the mix. Apart from that, there are a lot of other options than Markdown. Markdown is not the solution for every “problem”. Where I absolutely disagree is the “time-sucking waste” part. It is a marvelous tool when used for the right job (particularly when converting text to HTML - and to some degree also for other export options). It is not the best tool for any job, though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Certainly a good point. It depends on the use case.

Other than Apple Notes, many/?all of the Mac note-taking apps don’t have RTF. On their website, Craft states that they will have it soon.

Best use case I’ve got for Markdown is that, as a programmer, I often need to refer to snippets of code. Markdown excels at easy formatting of prose mixed with blocks of unformatted code.

3 Likes

I like/use compact tab layout in Safari :scream:

7 Likes

Me too! I thought I was the only one.

1 Like

I’ve been deliberating whether to post in this mega-thread, but no-one has expressed my 2 contrary opinions so I’m going for it:

1. I have never listened to a podcast. Any podcast at all. If I want to learn something, I’d read about it. If I want to listen to people talk, I’d turn on the radio. (I’m in this forum because I like talking about tech and you all seem normal. I didn’t even know it was a forum for a podcast at first!)

2. This one isn’t Mac related, but having seen a few comments in this thread that raise little flags for me I feel some of you need a reminder: it is ok -ideal even- to have hobbies, and it’s ok if one of those hobbies is playing with software you have little intention of using, or reading and talking about software you have little intention of using. Your hobby can even be tinkering with task managers! Who cares! As long as your hobbies are not building space lasers or snorting cocaine, you’re probably fine.

My third point isn’t contrary and isn’t an opinion, it is scientific fact*: Star Trek is better than Star Wars :vulcan_salute:

*Obviously I am joking, but both fandoms have numpties in them so I’m adding this disclaimer.

15 Likes

Well, most of us anyway. :rofl::wink:

1 Like

Key word … “seem” :wink:

(goes back to tinkering with the space laser wondering how he knew …)

3 Likes

Not sure if this is contrary or not but the “Foundation” series should never be resurrected or spoken of again.

4 Likes

This one’s neat. Did you hear something about podcasts that set you against them? Or just that committed to reading/dismayed by others not reading? Or are you surrounded by a bunch of great radio stations? Do you listen to a lot of music?

I’ve met someone who was breaking into voice acting and was setting up a podcast studio, but had never listened to a podcast. I showed her how to find them on her phone (Android) but she had no idea what she might listen to. Very different personality and interests than me. Good conversation.

1 Like

My mind wanders if I’m not part of the conversation: get to the point if you want me to listen. That’s why I don’t listen to podcasts.

4 Likes

I haven’t made a vow not to listen to podcasts, I just don’t see the point. But I do suspect it’s partly because I have good radio choices already. I’m in the UK - the BBC has more than 10 national stations and probably another 100 or so local stations (BBC is paid for by taxpayers so has no adverts), plus on top of that we have a lot of commercial stations, and even before the advent of digital radio we could pick up radio signals from France so could listen to some of their stations too (I’m half-French), so I’m not stuck for choice.

I don’t really watch YouTube videos either. I’d just rather read something (I do subscribe to lots of blogs). I tend to use YouTube if I have a specific thing I need to find out and I need/want to be shown visually. E.g. this week I had a question about archery, and I knew I’d understand it better if I watched someone explain the answer in a video, so I went to YouTube for that instead of an article. I am informed though that most kids nowadays consume their media through YouTube and podcasts. It’s a new world!

1 Like

I’m only half-joking when I say that YouTube has been to home repair what the spreadsheet was to corporate finance, for good and ill. Like dynamite.

8 Likes

. . . and car repair, and software research, and . . .

1 Like

I exercise by walking 90+ minutes a day, and that’s my prime podcast listening time.

If my mind wanders during a podcast, well, I consider that a plus.

6 Likes

Watch out for open manholes covers and low-walled fountains! :slightly_smiling_face:

I very rarely listed to a podcast if I want to learn something. My reason is I can’t ever learn by hearing. Now if the podcast has a transcription I might listen to it enough to decide I want to read the transcription. In all the various testing ideas about learning types I’m at the very far end of reading focused. Any noise to me is distracting, even a podcast about something I want to listen to. I have a hard time staying with it. It takes huge effort to listen and get anything out of a podcast when I can read it and get it in a few minutes. For entertainment I can occasionally listen to them but often I have problems because I want to pay attentiona nd then it’s not relaxing. And no I do not listen to music much at all. I can’t stand having music playing if I’m trying to work. OTOH fan noice from computers is soothing. I think it’s the tech equivalent of white noise at least it is to me. I have more problems when the computers are silent, I’m sure something is broken. :grin:

3 Likes

FWIW, one can use DEVONthink without putting any files into it. DT can work perfectly well just by indexing files in Finder directories and nested folder structures. I only mention this because it took me a minute to realize this when first trying out the software. Moreover, DT let’s me index files that are in other sandboxes on my machine (e.g., Zotero).

4 Likes