What are your most contrary MPU opinions?

Not exactly the most contrary MPU opinion, but I don’t frequently exchange hardware. Almost everything is thoroughly used until it becomes too slow, its battery dies (and the replacement is too expensive) or it’s no longer updated.

I rocked an iPad 2 from 2011 to 2017 and am currently using my beloved iPhone SE from 2016 and hope to nurse it until 2021 (hopefully!). I guess I’m a cheapskate!

6 Likes

I’m learning this. Your phrase “time to put the toys back in the toy box” has saved me a few times recently.

3 Likes

Shortcuts for me has never stuck. I have just never found a good use case for the app. even though I have tried. And, I use my iPad for 90%+ of my work.

4 Likes

I agree, but I don’t see any viable alternatives. No way I’m going with Windows, and I think Linux is still too rough around the edges.

2 Likes

OK @MacSparky , you win. I will, one day, watch one all the way through. You win, who could deny such a plea. :star_struck:
I will say too, and Meg agrees, that, even with all the power tools and techniques that I know how to do and use, that, were I running jury trials and a Law firm, that is ALL I would be doing. I do think you personally, are, a very far out too, productivity outlier. Anyway may the “Force with you be” as they say! :smile: or is that something else?

1 Like

Podcast

Glad that Square Space is now supported by Apple’ s iOS browsers… or so I have read.

In the old days, as a basic user, I often carried away an idea to use or play with. … less so for the past year for the MPU podcast.
— Resulting in me dropping my subscription.

I know this is a just me observation. You think as you will.

1 Like

Contrary opinion: dark and light themes alone aren’t sufficient for a discourse install.

1 Like

I think MPU heretics would make a great light hearted topic for an episode!

7 Likes

I don’t use cloud backup or cloud photo services. Since my only option is a DSL connection with sub-megabit upload speeds they’re painfully slow. Add to this concerns some in the household have about potential security exposures and reliability issues and it’s just not going to happen.

I also don’t believe in battery conditioning/cycling apps. It’s been a really long time since laptops used batteries that suffered from charge memory effects. Now the only impact of those apps is to decrease battery lifetime.

Count me as someone else who doesn’t really understand the fascination with a lot of home automation. If I want to turn on a light I’ll walk over to the switch and do it. My body will appreciate my getting up out of my chair. If I want to share front door video with Amazon and the police I’ll post it on YouTube.

I’ve never gotten the Star Wars vs. Star Trek debates. I don’t have any interest in seeing recent versions of either one. I am curious about where Baby Yodas come from though.

I haven’t worn a watch since the original Palm Pilot came out in 1996. I never really liked the feel and a chunky Apple Watch isn’t going to change my mind there.

I think Star Trek is mostly silly.

5 Likes

Though I still don’t like Windows, PowerPoint, or the Mac version of Outlook, I’ve become a fan of Microsoft’s work with Office365. I wish Apple and Google would step up.

Star Trek is boring and I question the usefulness of bootable backups.

2 Likes

I’m extremely reluctant to have a smart speaker in my home, not even the HomePod. The benefits, which seem small to me, are outweighed by having an always-on internet-connected microphone monitoring me.

9 Likes

Don’t wear silver thread clothes in an MRI machine :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t use Alfred, Hazel, Keyboard Maestro or Text Expander. I find Folder Actions, Automator and AppleScript easy to use and much more feature-rich. I use the built-in text replacement because I need it throughout iOS and it meets all my needs.

I find that I like the stock apps more than third-party in almost all cases.

I also find Adobe Acrobat much better than other tools for OCR and managing PDFs. However, I’m fortunate in that my employer pays for my Creative Cloud subscription, so the price is not an issue with it.

5 Likes

I don’t find an iPad to be a very good productivity tool.
There is a lot of room in my work life for both Windows and Mac and I switch between the two regularly.
Windows 10 has gotten really good and in some respects has surpassed Mac OS in terms of functionality (for example, Windows Hello).
Unless and until Apple makes a phone with a stylus, I am an Android phone user (and have been since the Galaxy Note 2).
I hate all-in-one desktop computers. I want to be able to mix and match my components. I never bought an iMac for myself and simply ran an old Mac Pro 2012 until this year (which is now being used my by son to learn graphic design). The Mac mini refresh was a godsend.
I can’t bring myself to pay a premium for built-in LTE in my iPad since mobile hotspot technology works so well. It just doesn’t bother me that much to take the extra 30 seconds to set it up that I’ll pay an extra $10-$20/month for the additional phone line. Indeed, I find that it makes me more intentional about my wireless data usage.
I never had an issue with the MacBook butterfly keyboard, although once problems with others started popping up I bought silicon keyboard overlays. They work great and for me simulate deeper key travel - they actually improved the keyboard experience for me.
Mac Numbers is so useless to me that it seems like a broken app.

1 Like

I find Numbers pretty useless. Partly in fairness because I learnt and used spreadsheets on Office for years. Numbers has a different architecture which I have never got used to. I don’t have much use for spreadsheets now, if I do I find the open source Libre fine and as good as Exel for my purposes. There isn’t any incentive for me to ‘learn’ as it were Numbers even on Mac, so I don’t count my opinion as fair and would not advise on the basis of it. I find Pages is fine when I do have need to use it. I find the Libre version of Word fine too though.

2 Likes

Without Keyboard Maestro my machine would feel like a different one. If for some reason that app folded or was not maintain I might even consider dropping out of the mac eco system. My use is not, as I say often, high productivity in the MPU sense. However the smoothness and lack of friction that Keyboard Maestro supplies just transforms my experience. I do have Launchbar and TE, I could replace both with Keyboard Maestro and am thinking of doing so. Leaving me really, I admit, with only one power app. I agree it is easy to neglect native apps and it is a pity that automator was almost abandoned when Sal Soghassin left.

1 Like

But the Tribbles! the Tribbles man! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t like the gratuitous cutesy characters in Star Wars - Porgs, Ewoks, Jar Jar.
It’s an obvious ploy to appeal to children , and to sell toys.

1 Like

It is beloved by many! I have to confess to a lifetime of blndness to several very popular works of, as I see it, a similar ilk. From my early years during the Tolkein craze, I got 100 pages into Lord of the Rings: that work, bear in mind is clearly related to Celtic elements with which I was familiar. Dune, left me cold after about 50 pages. Then much later Star Wars failed for me, as did Harry Potter, both the books and films. Never read or watched one past the initial stages.

Before I get accused of cultural snobbery I did love DC comics and Spiderman as a kid though. They were very hard to come by post WWII in my country and were real treasure when one could get them. I loved them and still have the 50 or so I could get hold of in those years. I did, like Star Trek the next Generation I will confess and at the risk of opening into that conflict!

2 Likes