What are your new workflows and apps for 2021?

Based on the prominence of the announcements, I think we can expect to see it soon.

I have no inside information on this. It’s just a gut feeling.

Funny you should ask that question. I voiced the same concern on the Hook forum 2 days ago.

Hook defaults to the native app link where such a link is available. DevonThink links in DT, URLs in your browser, Drafts links in that app, and so on. Obviously that’s not possible in the Finder, and that’s a big concern.

The one big exception is Mail, but it’s easy to switch Hook to default to message:// links.

4 Likes

I’ve been working on some huge academic research projects and I’ve gone back to using Curio for planning and brainstorming. I like the results so far, and I’ve found it works well as part of my workflow.

2 Likes

I won’t list everything I’m using, as one of my TODOs is to figure out what I’m using and clear out some app cruft, if possible.

New to me:

• Doom Emacs and org mode
    This will be my task manager of choice for the new year. I’ve made a commitment to myself that I will use this system, and if it doesn’t work out for some reason, my backup will be paper. I’ll also use this for non-research notes (i.e. not notes on academics papers (yet)), and for a daily review journal.
  • Fantastical (non-sub) and Reminders. I created a calendar specifically for time blocking, block out using categories (Writing, Research, etc.). To find the tasks I can do in those categories, I look in the agenda in Org.
  • Morning pages - three pages of hand-written thoughts on whatever comes to mind. Currently using hamelin notebooks and my trusty Waterman or Prera fountain pen and perhaps some Diamine or Pilot ink.

Time blocking and morning pages are the big picture things that seem to be working well for me at the moment.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t know the answer.

I am very pleased to see both PDFpenPro and Tinderbox now deeply integrated with the Hook App. To me this is a huge gamechanger with regard to the ability to annotate a PDF and save notes on those annotations. I wrote a Keyboard Maestro script to integrate these and I plan to learn both apps in more detail this year - especially Tinderbox. The customization that Tinderbox makes possible for organizing personal notes is quite notable.

The PDF files themselves will remain in Devonthink, as will a reference to the Tinderbox Notes file.

I switched to Keep It for similar reasons as you. While I had some issues with syncing, the developer is very responsive and after emailing him I had everything resolved.