What do I lose going from Safari to Brave?

After looking in to Brave Search I decided to try out Brave again, until Safari can make it the default search engine, but I’ve always wondered if it’s worth it because I like all of the features that are built in to Safari

2 Likes

Autofill 2FA codes sent to SMS.

5 Likes

Does Brave do Tab groups? I’ve come to rely on having those available on all of my devices. Same with Reading List.

I also like being able to be looking at a site on my phone and easily switch to my Mac by just clicking on the additional Safari icon in the dock.

1 Like

Kinda adjacent, but I just switched my default iPadOS browser back to Safari. While I am happy with the Firefox browser, the lack of plug-in support is really a drawback. Tried it for a month or so, but it’s just too many restrictions that holds it back from becoming a viable option at this time.

I feel the same way about FireFox. That’s why I am trying Brave again.

1 Like

It doesn’t have Tab Groups but I have really gotten into that.

Yes, I’m using tab-groups too - super practical. Found a great Firefox extension for the Mac-version, but of course, those are not available on my iPad.

For me the reason to return to Safari are Keychain-support (over all devices) and bookmark-sync.

Brave does have tab groups (at least the version I’m using 1.38.109 does). Brave is based on chromium so it should have pretty much all features that chromium has.

1 Like

Most Chromium-based browsers have tab groups now, including Brave and Edge.

Personally I’d use Edge because of the power management features, I’m seeing a lot better battery life than on Brave with Efficiency Mode turned on. Vertical tabs are cool too.

It might be a stupid question, but why are you not simply putting https://search.brave.com into a bookmark, or even a fixed Tab, on Safari, and keep using Safari with all the benefits?
I think that you even can set up a Keyboard Shortcut, with certain apps, to get to the Brave address, while using the Option-CMD-F.

I’m kind of going down that road. I added the Brave Search page to the Home Screen on my phone and it seems to work alright. I would just like to see Apple add it as an option, such a as Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, for the default search engine.

I also find that there are too many sites for my job that don’t work with Safari, but work with Chromium browsers. And I only want to have to use one browser.

If you use a launcher (e.g. Alfred), setting up a custom search there works well too. It’s https://search.brave.com/search?q={query} for Alfred. It’ll open the results page as a new tab in your most recently used window of your default browser.

2 Likes

Interesting. :thinking::thinking::thinking: I’ll have to check that out.