What do these macOS shortcuts actually do?

Hi all – my googling skills appear to be letting me down.

Can someone explain in terms easy enough to understand (it’s been a long week!) what these are supposed to do? I either not triggering them correctly, or their use is so nuanced I’m not even noticing it…

Red arrow >> changing the way Tab moves focus??
Green >> what is a “window drawer”?
Blue >> what are the “status menus”?

Any long time Mac users who have these figured out?

Put the terms in quotes.

and

https://macmost.com/the-most-powerful-keyboard-shortcut.html

2 Likes

Many thanks.

OK, so the “blue arrow” is to get the focus top right of the menu bar – I now know that’s called the “status menus”.
Doesn’t appear to be working this side, possibly because of Barkeeper 3 – but given the latter, I don’t need to use it, and that mystery is solved.

The “red arrow” changes how the Tab key selects either only text fields, or jumps between basically all clickable fields inside a menu window. Had this activated all along, to allow for Tab to jump between all, but didn’t realise this was related.

The “green arrow” had me doing some digging, since I found plenty of sites explaining the shortcut, but not what it actually does.
Finally found a description of the “window drawer” being those pop-out menus that some older(?) Mac apps (like Pathfinder and Nisus Writer Pro) used to use… Haven’t had a need to use one in ages, so it slipped my mind what they were.

1 Like