What do you love about Things 3?

I’ve heard this comment before and don’t understand it. What’s the barrier to checking off a task early in Things: the fact that it may not be in the Today view?

I’d say use whatever works for you and then worry about getting the work done that it’s reminding you to do. I picked Things2 on a recommendation and have been using it since.

I had a colleague ask how to remember to get work done and I was astonished she used no to-do list. So I showed her how to using Reminders and was pretty amazed and how good Reminders is now. If I wasn’t already waist deep in Things3, I’d use Reminders.

1 Like

Well, I knew someone was going to tell me Reminders was that capable.

Interesting.

I just wish Things could nag me. I know they can do it by email…

I like that you can put photos (graphics) in Reminders. Things cannot do that.

1 Like

I’m glad I could oblige! :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ok. Riddle me this. Where did you learn how to do all that? Is it just that you are extremely (in a good way) computer literate? Just trying different things? Or did you read a manual? Better yet. Do you know if there is one?

Whether I’m “extremely” computer literate is very relative. Compared to many in this forum I’m barely above the Neanderthal tech stage. To my staff and family, I’m a computer nerd. :joy: I self-assess as “end user” literate and lifelong learner who likes this stuff. As to Reminders, I watched a couple of YouTube videos (isn’t that where we learn everything? :slightly_smiling_face:) but mostly just figured it out.

As to manuals …. Do those still exist? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ok, so the reason I have to do my goofy “workaround” with a repeating project is I want the ability to check these repeating tasks off in advance. These tasks are baked into a repeating project that appears on Fridays. If I work ahead, I want to be able to check stuff off.

1 Like

Play keeps one mentally young and physical play helps mitigate the impact of an aging body. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ah, that sounds reasonable!

My tasks are monthly checklists for H+S reasons, so I have to do them on the specific nights I set the times for so I wouldn’t be doing them any earlier than I could, so that makes sense.

Omnifocus 3 is good - however, I felt I was lost with all the functionality. I was also a bit slow in getting tasks in and out. Things 3 seems a bit more simple to use with some less options.

1 Like

ahh, for repeating tasks. I guess I don’t use too many of those. That is a big limitation.

1 Like

You’re funny. If you are of the Neanderthal persuasion what does that make me? ROFL. Cro-Magnon? (Who came first? I don’t know).

Yes. There are some manuals out there but they are ALL online now and it is just harder as I grew up with genuine print which for me is so much easier to read, especially with a reference book that you go back and forth in.

I don’t have much patience with most YouTube videos. I tend to prefer print.

But I’ll check out some videos anyway and see if I can learn something. I guess it helps when you get to know a few apps quite well as opposed to being scattered all over the place.( You’d get a kick out of how many apps i have. Even I don’t believe it!) Plus you have a job to use Reminders with. I always say “Worker smarter not harder”.

1 Like

This is a “recurring” topic (sorry for this shameless pun). So I thought I would make my notes in a separated topic that, somehow, says I lot on why I love Things.

Must say it’s long, so you all have been warned! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have often wondered how MacSparky could possibly know all that!!! Well, at least he’ll be able to immerse more for pleasure now.

For example, I have his marvelous photo guide. Now I’m a pretty good amateur photographer so very little of it is over my head. But still I marvel at the breadth and depth of his knowledge! It’s a great guide! So he just doesn’t know all this stuff, how to apply it etc. But he can teach it in a beautifully organized way. I’m a teacher and I’m plenty impressed.

But then I signed up for his Keyboard Maestro which I haven’t started yet as I know it’s going to ultimately be way over my head . But the way he teaches I’ll still get a lot out of it. And I can keep referring to it. Maybe I’ll try osmosis! Just kidding.

You know, it truly helps if you LOVE :heart: what you’re doing!!

2 Likes

I use one project per course with recurring tasks on it.

If weekly projects with recurring dates are your thing and you want to automate their creation, then I highly recommend Things Parser on Drafts. It’s really handy for that!

I considered that, but the scenario in which I work ahead becomes a pickle because I can’t check stuff off in advance! Or, say I have no lessons Friday (like this upcoming week), I would end up with tasks chilling on that Friday until Friday comes and I can check them off. Or I guess I could manually defer them? IDK.

This one small process is super simple in Todoist and just a headache in things :open_mouth:

That sounds very much like the example I’ve posted here.

But do have a look on Things Parser. It’s great for your use case.

1 Like

Thank you! I will dig into this!

Exactly a reason I miss teaching little kids. They kept me young.

As someone who switched to Things from Omnifocus (and on the 4 iOS beta) I had to make a few changes to my system, but Things engenders a feeling calm when looking at Today or Anytime lists. I had to switch a good few projects to Someday status but the ability to add checklists and headings was the thing that made me switch. What comprised 3 projects ina dedicated folder each with sequential action groups in OF became one project, 3 headings and some checklists. Just the same amount ultimately to tick off but much easier on the eye and the brain.

I have used OF for a good few years, was not happy with the direction of the Beta for several reasons, so decided to go all in with Things. So far very happy, and meets my needs pretty precisely which I guess is what we all want from any app.

3 Likes

I use Things for personal stuff and have been using it for years. Then, during the pandemic, I needed to use the house PC for work and there is no Things for Windows. I ended up using two task manager - continue with Things for personal stuff (as I have set up many scheduled and repeat tasks) and Microsoft To-Do for work (it has Windows, macOS and iOS versions and they are free). Turns out both work well for me. I am not sure if I want to pay for Things 4 in the future, though.

Is there a Things 4 beta or you’re on the OF 4 beta?