What do you use for Kindle Notes and Highlights?

Nearly, if not all, the content in my Kindle library was purchased through Amazon and I can only export via flashcards.

Too many sheeps to the wind tonight to investigste. I’ll see what I can find tomorrow. There is a trick I just can’t remember it right now.

1 Like

OK more testing this am. I have the following preferences set:

Show the highlight menu
Popular highlights turned off

Books are all loaded direct from Amazon not downloaded and dragged onto the kindle app

I’m running catalina and my iPad is running 14.3

And when I tap the top of book then the page icon then the share icon (way too many steps but ther eit is) I get options for flashcards or email. I had to set up an email account on my ipad to maek it work.

Any books I dragged onto the iPad from my Mac do not show the email option, whether they were purchased at Amazon or not.

So I can’t duplicate what you are seeing.

This might be the difference in your setup and mine. Where in the Kindle iPad app does one do this? Thanks!

It’s not in the kindle app it’s normal mail. I don’t do email on my iPad so I had to go in and add an email account

I process more email on my iPad than I do on anything else, so something else is the culprit. Thanks again for the assistance.

Sorry retrieving this up, but… have you settled in. I was just about to sign up for Readwise and found out about Knotes. What was your verdict on it?

Well I settled on Readwise, but I feel like it’s quite pricey for what it does. I love the idea of it, but the execution is still a bit lacking in areas. It irks me how much of the iOS app is just a web view. But Readwise works and works really well for helping you review what you’ve read and highlighted. So :man_shrugging:t2:

I will say, if your only requirement is that you have a way to backup and view Kindle Highlights, then I would consider Knotes… but if you want anything more than that then Readwise is a clear winner for me.

2 Likes

I’m only scratching the surface with Readwise.

They seem to be expanding the sources they pull from for the users. Their webpage says, “Sync your highlights from Kindle, Instapaper, Pocket, iBooks, and more”.

I thought I saw somewhere that a user could take a picture of a document they’ve highlighted and Readwise could work with that. Can’t find it now; but will keep looking.

It doesn’t seem to pull chapter names (I suspect this is a limitation of what the Kindle captures). Not a big deal with a quote from say, “The Two Towers” … But, if one has The Bible on Kindle, it would be great to know it was a quote from “Hebrews,” etc. same with text books or Shakespeare… At least tell me the play!

Readwise just upgraded their highlight/quote export.

Here’s something I highlighted in a pulp fiction novel:

Polka will never die!

That’s actually really nice looking!

1 Like

you can get chapter names (and many other sub-headings) in Readwise, but unfortunately, you have to do it by adding notes manually: How to Add Chapters to Your Highlights in Readwise with Headings

I’ve found it’s not so bad to do while reading, but it can be a bit of a pain if you’re going back to previous books.

1 Like