True. I’d probably reach for Ruby or Python for these kinds of nice-looking, self-documenting calculations, but same idea. It feels like a failure of these apps to switch away from them for ergonomic reasons, when that’s their whole appeal.
I received an email - New Soulver 4 is recently launched - one universal app for both macOS and iOS. 50 new calculations (Soulver 3 was launched 7 years ago) and luckily, one time payment, not a subscription. If you owned Soulver 3, there’s an 50% upgrade discount. Any love here?
Haven’t received that email yet, but I like their philosophy:
What’s the meaning of life?
Shower the people you love with love, defend your own dignity, and have good days.
(on the bottom of their website)
Apparently Soulver 4 is out for more than 2 weeks already?
I’ll have a look at what’s new to see whether it’s worth upgrading for me.
Is there a web page showing release notes?
(Or do I need to look at the “What’s new” section in the App Store?)
PS: I did upgrade to Soulver 3 in 2022 (some Unclutter bundle deal), so I am eligible for the 50% discount
There is
Still can’t use custom tax in Alfred; only in the main app ![]()
I’ll definitely buy it. I don’t see the 4 features changing how I use it much right away, but I grew into the 3 features over time. I could see at least setting some global variables like family birthdays (napkin math for investing and education expenses seems to be one of my frequent uses.) The universal app is a good move.
I use it for things that ought to be spreadsheets but which I don’t realise ought to be spreadsheets until well after I’ve committed to Soulver
I guess it helps me to get started…
It has its own pop up called Quick Soulver. Does it work there?
The Alfred Soulver workflow is still pointing to Soulver 3. I wonder if we can change it to point to 4 instead? I am guessing it is something you can ask Soulver support. Zac is pretty responsive.
I’m not at my Mac right now, but yesterday I installed this workflow again from version 4 and I think it then pointed to version 4 (and had the option to select a different executable)?
I already had version 3 Alfred workflow installed and when I tried to update, it brings me to the Alfred Workflow Gallery and there was no upgrade. Apparently, I need to install it from the Soulver 4 app itself (click on Soulver > Integrations > Alfred Workflow) which will then download a .workflow file. Odd, the dev should update the Gallery. So it looks like you are using the latest workflow and you are saying it does not do the custom tax for you? Probably something you have to ask Zac, the dev at contact@soulver.app
Speaking of which, I realize that when I typed “soul” in Alfred, Soulver 2 is always the first result, meaning, I launched Soulver 2 more often than Soulver 3. I realize that I don’t use a lot of the additional features and I really, really like the aethestic of Soulver 2. The status bar at the bottom showing the total is way better than the overlay in 3. I also like the pill shape when reusing the answer.

Soulver 2 above. When I highlight the blue pill shape, it highlights the whole row where the calculation originated

Soulver 3 and 4 - notice how the total is a overlay and it forces the width of the answer column to fit the word “Total”. It’s unnecessarily wide. Also, highlighting the blue answer will draw a blue rectangle over the previous answer - different from Soulver 2 which highlights the whole row.
I like that I can right-aligned the answer column in 4 and that I can customize the color of the answer column.
Personally I use Soulver pretty often for everyday quick calculations but also for currency exchange stuff like in the screenshot, splitting costs with friends, and percentage calculations of all sorts like for financial considerations/investments or once for supplements planning for vacation ![]()
really like its simplicity and currently contemplating upgrading to v4.
I use it for calculations whose logic I understand but don’t know how to expres in a formula or equation. Especially things like calculating interest rates.
I use a monthly Soulver file the way I used to use a check register, since I don’t use paper checks any more.
I use it for increasing and decreasing bread recipes using metric measurements.
