What got the WWDC Podcast Recap thread closed?

I dont usually see ismh popping in to close a thread because he thinks “it has run its course”.

Interesting…

[NOT criticizing. Just curious because it seems rare to close a thread for this reason.]

The original purpose of the topic had little to do with guns. It was most likely closed for veering off-topic.

only a couple of people were talking about guns… it did evolve into a conversation about podcasts though which should be fine. other threads veer off but I dont see them getting closed.

as I said, interesting…

You’re the one that said wwdc was a nothingburger, right? So maybe the thread went off the rails cuz there wasn’t enough interesting content to discuss. I love that word btw.

1 Like

luckily it evolved into a critique of podcasts. I learned of at least one new podcast in that thread. sad to see it go. :grinning:

1 Like

You know it’s always been bad form to open new threads to criticize moderation decisions, whatever they are, since the dawn of the Internet, right? :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I have reported this thread for being off-topic/irrelevant. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yeah, like this thread is the only one that fits that description, haha.

2 Likes

not criticizing. I only asked a question because it seems to be a rare occurence.

yeah thats possible too. I tried to delete this thread but it wont let me. I flagged this thread as offtopic and got a reward.

1 Like

Several long threads have been closed for veering off topic. This isn’t the kind of forum where people go right up to the policy line just because they can, so a less than thorough explanation is fine. We can figure it out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Questioning moderation is in the same ballpark. It is better done in private. On less civilized communities, such threads always spiral out of control.

Going from WWDC coverage to conversations about guns seemed like a clear reason to lock it.

13 Likes

Not sure about the wisdom of adding another voice but just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the meandering kooky quality of that WWDC post that got locked. I didn’t like the gun talk at all (but they aren’t part of my culture), but I so enjoyed following the ideas, the playfulness, the earnestness, the sense of discovery that can happen in a thread that is wandering or even getting a bit lost. It feels to me as if sometimes that’s where some gold lies (a bit like Rebecca Solnit describes in A Field Guide to Getting Lost). I’m not overly concerned that the thread got closed (it is what it is), but sometimes in those rambling threads I start to get a sense of this community in a way I don’t when it’s all ‘on track’. So thanks all for the chatter. Simon

7 Likes

Well when the thread is locked through no fault of the starter, it’s good if everyone knows why so the same mistake doesn’t get made again.