What is actually holding Apple back from allowing iPads to use Macos?

All I want now (and I’ve mentioned this a few years ago) is a hybrid. A MacBook where the screen is an iPad. When you remove the screen it is an iPad. When the screen is connected it can act as an iPad or a MacBook (non-touch). There would be a key on the keyboard to toggle between the 2 modes. My MBP stays on my desk most of the time. When I’m away from the desk sometimes I want to use a MBP and other times I want to use an iPad. Same is true for when I am traveling. I would love to have one device to accomplish this.

1 Like

I’ve posted “why this can’t work” content to the thread so far, but I am optimistic that advances in UX are achievable that will make form factors more useful in a wider variety of situations, and make new kinds of work/play/creation possible.

If that happens, we’ll be exploring the edges of those new limitations just as much. The prospect of understanding and exploring those new problems is also exciting to me.

2 Likes

Can’t you have this right now with the Luna hardware and software?

Luna Display’s Modes - Astropad

1 Like

As far as I know, I can’t remove the screen of my MBP and use in in another room as an iPad. This is what I really want, one device.

So this would work like Jump desktop and allow MacOS on the iPad? But would work better than Jump desktop? I’ve tried Jump and it’s OK in a pinch.

Well, not until Apple makes something like that, and I don’t see that happening any time soon. So until then, all you’ve got is Duet, Luna, Sidecar, Jump Desktop, etc., to pretend that macOS runs on a touch-enabled tablet. And to realize the drawbacks of a hypothetical device that your wishful thinking glosses over.

Hey, don’t dis my magical thinking. It’s one of the joys of my life.

Just curious, what drawbacks do you find in my MagicBookPro?

Did you ever check out the line of Microsoft Surface Books? With the weird hinge? And lots of design trade-offs because the top and bottom separate? Laptops have guts and all the weight in the bottom half but that doesn’t work when you separate and use just the “screen.” Design that dictated a lower powered processor. Microsoft put a lot of effort into these models, had to charge a lot, and never got a runaway hit for their effort. But this was the device that is probably closest to what you are wishing for.

Good arguments. I appreciate the response.

I guess I’ll quit wishing for this as it can’t be done. :grinning:

See, that’s the thing…the Surface Book was possible, and it wasn’t even horrible. But it very much wasn’t a smashing market success, because it’s a niche product and (quite honestly) Windows isn’t really much better at being a touch OS than macOS is. It kind of wound up being a product that wasn’t great at two things, instead of being great at one thing.

If you’re actually using it at a desk, the regular Surface with detachable keyboard would give you what you’re looking for. It’s when you actually try to move it onto an…erm…lap (LAP-top :slight_smile: ) that you run into weird issues with balance for all the reasons @karlnyhus mentioned. Very tippy, and the kickstand doesn’t solve that problem.

2 Likes

Yes - It would be similar to the MS Surface. I have a Logitech keyboard case for my iPad Pro that pretty much mimics the Surface. It has a kickstand, attaches with magnets, and separates easy for use w/o the keyboard. It works great on a flat surface such as a desk - I never use it nor my MBP in my lap - tried years ago and it was not for me. So that design does hold up a heavy iPad. Secondly, I did not mention that MacOS had to work with touch. My only desire is that when the screen (iPad) was attached that you could toggle to use in iPad mode (touch) or MacOS (no touch). So, in my opinion, and with the limitations that mention, it is doable. It would be heavy, expensive, difficult to use as a laptop, with a screen that could only be used with touch in iPad mode, definitely a niche product, and a great first attempt of a hybrid by Apple. Just a dream if mine - not a prediction. Unless they build it - then, yes, I’ll look back and say “I predicted that”.

3 Likes

And that’s the thing - it wouldn’t shock me at all to learn that Apple has one or more of those floating around inside their research labs. The thing that differentiates Apple, historically, is that they generally don’t release “first attempt” hardware. They wait until they have something that they think can fly as a v1 product.

Also, absolutely agree. Make lots of informal predictions. Point to the ones that happen and claim success. Wash, rinse, repeat. :smiley:

4 Likes

After a while no one would use iPadOS and support would dwindle even more than it already does.  does not want that.

I disagree.There is a large group of users that use their iPads at the simplest level possible and they love them. No slide-over or multi-finger gestures for them. :slightly_smiling_face:

Then there are the iPad users who want all limits removed. And Apple has been catering to them, too, adding advanced features over the many years of iPadOS evolution.

1 Like

Apple already walks a tightrope catering to basic iPad users and iPad power users alike.

If you want a touchable Mac interface, buy a MacBook and use the trackpad! It works great!

Use your iPhone and your Mac and your iPad side-by-side, each for what they are best at!

1 Like

But I don’t want to carry both. Nor do I want to purchase both, that gets quite expensive!

I get that YOU don’t see the need for this, but your subjective opinion doesn’t invalidate mine.

First world problem. Capable devices are smaller and lighter than they have ever been.

Then make a decision as to which features are most important and stick with the device that gives them to you. You may have to make a compromise here and there but individual devices are more capable than they have ever been.

I can understand that a full suite of devices are expensive. But also understand that you are hanging out with Mac Power Users, many of whom think nothing of picking up all the toys at an Apple store.

To be fair, it’s not my only first world problem :wink:

2 Likes