What is this piece of hardware?

What is this piece of hardware and its benefits?

Elgato Stream Deck, looks like. Itā€™s a handy way to open apps and run automations from a customizable keypad (down to the images you select for the buttons.) Lots of fans here.

3 Likes

See also:

https://talk.macpowerusers.com/search?q=stream%20deck

We have an upcoming episode on the very device!

8 Likes

Anyone use the iPhone / mobile version of this app with any success? Gripes? These devices seem extremely efficient and Iā€™m thinking about how I can use this for automation at work. Iā€™d like to try out the app before plunking down the cash on a actual physical configuration, wondering what others have experienced.

Thank you all. I look forward to hearing all about this product at your upcoming podcast @ismh

1 Like

The one thing I canā€™t live without!

32 buttons and 20 profiles and counting ā€¦

I shared this picture several months ago, but I still love it! Comes in three sizes!

5 Likes

I have TouchPortal which is similar and I like it, using on an old iPad Air2 much cheaper option :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow: Dual Stream Deck XL Stand | Etsy

4 Likes

Adds the following task to Things:

Find a way to mute the word ā€œstreamdeckā€ on MPU Forums

I must resistā€¦ I like a clean minimalist desk and have no need for this.

4 Likes

Makes me think of Taran from Linus Media Group!

I think more recent videos have shown him with about three or four keyboards.

resistance is futileā€¦ you will be assimilatedā€¦

3 Likes

Just wonder what hobby I need to pick up to justify thatā€¦

1 Like

Elgato have just announced a Stream Deck Pedal which also looks very tempting.

2 Likes

The Stream Deck is a very very useful device!
Saves me around 30 minutes each day replying to emails and declining/accepting meetings
(auto actions via KM macros)

1 Like

Iā€™m intrigued by the Elgato pedal. Pedals are kind of a backwater so they shouldnā€™t have trouble standing out if they integrate hardware, software and ergonomics correctly. The grip of the feet is going to be a big deal. Itā€™s almost 2 lbs and even 2.5-3lb pedals can have trouble staying put during periods of intense performance.

cool, even if just used for mic mute on/off and camera on/off and put a loud fart sound under the middle so you know clearly when youā€™ve got it wrong ā€¦

1 Like

Streamdeck when paired with Keyboard Maestro is an insane combination.

For example, I have a StreamDeck button that acts as a ā€˜breakā€™ timer. I use Keyboard Maestro to calculate idle time /etcā€¦ and update the buttonā€™s icon with a progress bar (this is what it looks like RIGHT NOW)ā€¦ when it hits zero, it beeps my Mac, and tells me to get up. Then ā€˜rechargesā€™ as long as Iā€™m idle.

Keyboard Maestroā€™s ability to draw onto images and update the icon is GAME CHANGING

3 Likes

What a great idea! Iā€™d love to see how you did that. Do you have a short manual?

1 Like