What Little Things Have Brought You Joy?

Since I started this thought I needed to add another joy from this afternoon. I am currently in the LONG process of repurposing my Flickr account (long story) and move a bunch of photos to the Photos app. Frankly, Flickr in general is a bit of a pain to work with including the fact that whenever you download images stored there they cannot simply give you a file with the original name. Instead they give you file with the original name plus 13-15 additional characters (the joy is coming…wait for it). So, I figured this was a job for Keyboard Maestro! Got a script that stripped all that extra crap off saving me HOURS of work (there were, and still are, a lot of images). The reason it was important for the images to have their original filename was so that when I imported them into the Photos app I could choose not to import images that already existed saving me even time. Anyway, that brightened my day!

3 Likes

Hi,

your advice was spot on. I am loving the nvalt app and it grows on me more and more as I discover it’s potential which is actually invisible by just looking at the interface.

And, yes it has this feeling of lightning speed allowing you to type as fast as you think and want to create new files with new thoughts.

Thank you for this joy returned!!!

Inky

1 Like

Very nice! I got a similar experience setting up a couple pi-holes and a pi-based NAS. :slight_smile:

The automation checks to see if one of the lights that is triggered by the automation is at the desired setting. If so, the automation doesn’t fire. Here’s a screengrab of my “Good Morning” motion-triggered Home app automation:

We have two dogs, but they sleep in their kennels at night :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Several months ago I installed the Philips Hue Light Strips under our kitchen cabinets. After that I installed them on the lip of our staircase. I felt super cool and my kids thought I was cool, because they could change the color of the staircase.

The 2nd part of all this…the staircase becomes the night light for the house. There’s an automation that at sunrise…the staircase turns off, and the kitchen cabinets turn on.

May not be “joy” per se, but it feels cool and a sense of ‘ahh, let’s get this day started’

2 Likes

I know someone has already mentioned this but using siri to turn off all the lights in my home when I’m ready for bed using just the word “goodnight”, always brings a little smile.

4 Likes

We set a scene called “deluminate” for this (and we named a lamp “lumos”).

2 Likes

Have you used “nox” in another way?

I love nvALT but I thought it was dead and we are all waiting for Terpstra’s next version???

1 Like

No, but NOW WE WILL.

2 Likes

Yep, but while we wait (and wait and wait and …) nvALT is still available. So why not use it? :slight_smile:

new release is coming, called nvUltra

It has been a long time coming …

1 Like

I use it on my iPhone and people’s reactions are hilarious :joy:

I have some MagSafe accessories that spark joy.

This thing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QZFTWYR is a removable MagSafe disk that connects to a MagSafe phone or phone case. I have two of them - one has the DJI OM4 magnetic ring holder attached and the other has a Pop Socket pop grip. So now I can attach my iPhone quickly to my OM4 or attach a Pop Socket when needed and easily remove either when done.

This: Amazon.com is a stand that accepts the iPhone MagSafe charging disk, ideal for desk or nightstand. It also folds flat for travel.

And this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09M391HMF is a MagSafe Arca-Swiss tripod mount, which also has a removable cold shoe suitable for a Lume Cube or microphone. Arca-Swiss is a widely used standard for quick release photographic tripods, and there are many iPhone connectors which rely on clamps to hold the iPhone, but MagSafe is faster, centered and very secure. The mount can also stand on its own on a desk when not connected to a tripod.

1 Like

Totally off topic but the thing that gives me daily joy is that the sheep Dejah Thoris never fails to come greet me any time I walk through the barn and she always expects a chin scratch and a nuzzle. She was not a bottle baby, she self-selected to become a pocket sheep. She is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful (and yes there are some sheep only the ewe can love) and she is above and beyond in deciding to become an important part of my life. If I fail to provide the appropriate scratch and petting she lets me know by grabbing my clothes with her teeth and tugging on them until I acknowledge her. She is my special sheep and she brings a smile to my face and lightens my load every single day.

11 Likes

Do you have a ram John Carter?

1 Like

We have had a ram named John but not any named Carter. However Dejah Thoris traces back to Ginny. Also to Wibbly (part of the triplets Wibbly, Wobbly, Webley) no Timey Wimey either but since it was all part of making Time Enough it all works. Her twin sister is Deety.

Sometimes the naming of sheep is a difficult thing. Apologies to T.S. Eliot

The Naming of Sheep

The Naming of sheep is a difficult matter
It’s not just one of your beer drinking games:;
You may think I’m as Mad as a Hatter
When I tell you that sheep have appropriate names
First there’s the background, the family connection
Such as Mycroft and Sherlock and Diogenes
Then there’s connections that are more obtuse
Like Tiberius and Kirk, Gwen and Ceinlys
But I tell you that the most critical name of them all
Is the name that will follow them their whole life
The name by which they will all be called.
Arthur and Dent (you don’t want to know)
Meiner, and Coal, Malbec, and Merlot,
Whether Sooner or Spork , Jerrold or Pawl
When I see the pedigrees I remember them all.
Mererid my golden girl, had 13 lambs in her life.
Yoda and Agent 90, Buddies to the end.
Merfyn, my first bottle lamb
Bunny whose real name was Cwningwn
Amidala, with twins this year
Of course their names are Deluke and Deleia
The sheep are short lived but their names live on
Finding names for the lambs is a critical chore
I’m wracking my brain
No more ideas tonight
But the Lambs Need Names
A new day dawns, D names to find
Dejah Thoris selected because she’s my friend
Her sister Deety is learning too.
Dorothy, Dot, Deanna and Delenn
Derial, Dobby, Draco and Dai
Dilbert with his flipped up tail
Dresden the ram with a regal stare
Dollag and Donna both small, a bit frail
Dixie, Dolly and Dora all quite fair
Hours later I’m done the names have been found
Papers filed and database updated
My keyboard is silent No more do I pound.
I go for a beer no longer frustrated.

Eugenie M. McGuire
Finished 2022-02-16

10 Likes

Hey
Did you happen to see
The most beautiful sheep in the world?
And if you did, was she baaing, baaing?

Hey
If you happen to see
The most beautiful sheep, that we’ve never seen
Take us a photo
Tell her we need to see her
Oh, then we’ll tell her that we love her…

4 Likes

It’s REALLY HARD to get a picture of a pocket sheep…

But here is Dejah Thoris this Sunday morning.

14 Likes