What makes you (still) excited about a new OS version?

I wasn’t replying to you. You’ll notice that I did not quote you and that my post does not list your name. The thread has gone in a different direction. I was replying to the tone of the last half dozen or so posts.

1 Like

Guilty as charged. :wink: Then again: I am not unhappy with Apple in a bigger sense. I love my M1 MB Air. I am unhappy with iPadOS, though (I do not know how to put that more nicely). And I am not sure what to think about where MacOS is going. A few examples:

Those three articles mirror what I feel in recent years: weird UI decisions that make everything more “in sync” with iOS/iPadOS UI-wise and we keep losing useful tools and options previously available to us.

This does not make me unhappy with Apple… It is just that I do not feel the excitement as I have done years ago when a new OS gets released.

3 Likes

Safety, stability, security. 99% of the time I deal with an application, not the OS. And eye-candy or design can’t cover up fundamental flaws in the OS core.

2 Likes

I still bleed in five colors. I started using Mac’s when the SE was new and used two 8ooK floppies. I kinda miss the slower OS release schedules. I think giving Alpha a longer stretch before a public Beta would be good, and not just wrt Apple. I still have certain expectations, as someone who worked in software production, about what Beta means. Sometimes I think what many companies are releasing as Beta is more accurately described as late Alpha, At the other extreme, there are Beta apps that have been Beta for years, which isn’t ideal either.

But I still follow release notes and keynotes with interest, and flashes of joy.

4 Likes

from what i’ve seen from the betas, i’d say the improvements in Mail search are more than enough

Stuff in macOS that would make me excited: iSCSI, RAID, GPG/PGP, Health,…

I have a feeling you may know all this, but chiming in for Future People™ that may happen by.

macOS has limited RAID support. I have a couple of stripped SSDs I’ve been running for a couple of years without problem. It also supports RAID-1 and JBOD. Maybe you mean RAID-5, etc.?

You may already know, globalSAN is available.

OpenPGP is built in to Thunderbird, if you’re interested.

Yeah, me too.

I’m much the same way. Honestly, there have been so few changes that benefited me in recent years that I stopped watching the live keynotes four or five years ago. I prefer to wait until later so I can fast forward to the parts that interest me. I upgraded my iPhone 6s to an iPhone 11 because I wanted a better camera. I don’t need a faster processor or OLED screen so I expect to use the 11 for another couple of years.

I have an M1 MBA that is an excellent machine, but other than booting faster and running on battery “forever” it performs much the same as my 2013 MBP. Like you I worked in I.T. but I never needed more than an entry level Mac and still don’t. Likewise my 2020 iPad Pro is fantastic. I generally use it as a tablet and only place it in its stand, and use it with keyboard and trackpad, when I’m typing something other than a short email or memo.

The introduction of the iPadOS Files app and the improvements that followed allowed me to make an iPad my primary computer. Files is still a bit clumsy so I’m hoping for continued polishing of the app. And while I have little hope of ever seeing a true backup application for the iPad it’s still at the top of my wish list. #2 on that list is a digital assistant that works as good or better than the competition.

I am close to having a truly mobile solution. My AirPods Pro and Apple Watch allow me to leave my iPhone in my pocket most of the time. With the addition of a “Siri that works” I could handle most situations that come up when away from the car/home and finish things on my iPad later.

1 Like

I would say that I’m thrilled by Apple announcements when they seem to skirt failure.

For example, I had my heart in my mouth when they announced Stage Manager. It seemed so close to a bad idea, but wasn’t. It had nothing to do with getting giddy about the utility (which I agree would’ve led to a feeling of being let down.)

Another moment that prompted that was the reveal of the visual changes in Big Sur. Could’ve easily been disastrous.

• I meant: full RAID support.
  • GlobalSAN: many issues in the past, on current Intel Macs only with Terminal tricks and for M1 Macs: *Since globalSAN relies on support for kernel extensions, the initiator is not compatible with Apple Silicon (ARM) systems. There are no current development plans to provide support for the ARM architecture." Something as essential as file-system (or network file systems) is something I don’t want to rely on third party solutions. Should be built into the OS.
  • GPG/PGP: I know. Should be integrated into Mail. And, to add on that: better S/MIME support for iOS (set up certificates)

I feel exactly the same way. There were a number of years in which didn’t have a Mac- just iPads. I REALLY appreciate my M1 MacBook Air. There is a lot to relearn. Also, there is a lot new.

1 Like

Right now I’m excited with Shared Photo Library.
Can’t wait to finally combine the family photos in one place.

(Edit: corrected a typo :nerd_face:)

2 Likes

Yes! 100%. The pain of having a shared apple ID is fixed by this.

Would it be too backwards to say that the thing that excites me about a new OS version is when 3rd-party developers continue to support old OS versions? I spent about a decade on Snow Leopard and planning to spend at least the same on Mojave.

5 Likes

Why? Not judging at all, just genuinely curious. Do you tend to keep your Macs for 10 years?

1 Like

Yeah, I think this is great! Snow Leopard still does the same things it did when it was a revolution back in the day.

1 Like

I do not know about @Gem but I do. I had a 2010 Mac Pro that I got the week it came out* and retired it in December 2019. But unlike Gem, I upgraded the OS to all the way to Mojave. And I loved being able to upgrade the machine. I miss those days.

I switched to a 2018 Mac mini, and fully intended to use that machine for quite a while, but Si came and I now use a Mac Studio as my main machine. The 2018 Mini is still inservice though, running headless. I do expect the use the Studio for 5+ years.

My travel machine, which just this past month visited Peru and Bolivia, is a 2014 MacBook Air. 8 years on and still going strong.

* I ordered the MacPro and picked ‘it’ (note the scare quotes!) at the the local Apple Store. I got it home, set it up, only to discover it was a 2009 MacPro. I called the store and they told me that the 2010’s had not yet been delivered. When they were they swapped it, and the manager gave me a Magic Trackpad for my trouble. Big deal I thought at the time … I’m still using that trackpad. No going back to a mouse for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is it about Manjaro that excites you? How is it different from other flavors of Linux?

I’ve dabbled with Linux over the years, my first dabbles (is that even a word?) being with MkLinux long ago, but never found a compelling use for it. Especially once OS X arrived.

In a related vein, in the thread about the MPU #655, I noted how I’d like to hear more about people using tools that the hosts don’t use. A show about how folks use Linux, Docker, and other such tools, in addition to the Apple systems, would be of interest to me.

I think if you’re curious about the Linix world you should give it a shot. Its not for everyone, but it can be fun to tinker around in. Unfortunately what you gain in “freedom” you lose in access to high quality third-party software.

We like to complain about macOS here, but until you’ve used something like Linux you don’t really appreciate how far ahead the Mac really is. At least that’s been my experience. It’s the little things.

But, give it a shot and let us know how it goes! I’d be curious to hear a fresh opinion.

1 Like

So would I. That should solve most of the problems caused by Apple rushing software to get it into the fall release. Or having to hold a new feature until “next year” because it didn’t get finished on time.

But the core of Apple marketing is big events preceded by months of hype from the media and fans. I don’t expect that to ever change.

1 Like